Re: gyn found a surgeon

Fri Jan 21 07:53:48 2000

Toni. Go to the quit in the IAS..look up a Karla Nygren. This unfortunate lady had 26 adhesiolysis surgery's...you must be totaly aware of your surgeons expertise in doing an adhesiolysis, how many does he do in a year, does he do a LAPOROSCOPY or a LAPROTOMY procedure? Does he track the paients progress after? Has he discussed pain mangement at all? How much do YOU know about adhesions and what YOU can do for yourself by being well informed about your disease ( ARD ) and your DR's proposals for treatment? Have you covered every base as far as what is in the best interest for you? Do you even know what is in your best interest or where to find that out?

Why are you NOT able to eat? To say that you cannot eat dfoesn't tell us why your not eating. Are you vomiting, no appetite, gastric reflux when eating, to fatigued? Not eating is a symptom of something else happening, what is happening to you physicaly to cause you not to eat?

Adhsions develope within 8 to 24 hours following ALL invasive surgical procedures. Once they are developed, they DO NOT continue to form or " snake " around in a persons abdomen/pelvis. Once they are formed, they are formed...stuck and remain in that spot. Over time, they will toughen and thus cause more pulling or constricting or the organs they are attached to. Please read this process in forum of April 1999 " Dr. Reichs theory on adhesions " Helen would know where this is...Helen? "

You need to educate yourself as to ARD and once you do that, you will be so much more informed as to your disease, you will be able to not only discuss your concerns and opinions with your DR and understand better what he is suggesting as far as treatment and remember, if you walk out of a DR's office with more questions then you go in with...you either need to ask for a consultation and sit down with your care provider to just talk about your case, ask questions, share material with him...when you try to talk to a DR. while your being examined, having tests, trying to fit all that in a 20 minute appointment, you cannot dicuss the issue to the degree that you MUST discuss them! In a consultation, your sole purpose is to TALK and discuss....

Please forward you personal e-mail to me and i will send you material to start that education, material to understand your rights as a patient and ways to handle your case.

If your wieght is what you say, and it probably is, you need to make some decisions real soon..YOU need to be informed so that YOU can get the highest quality of care you can have right now!

I know that ARD people do not feel good, it is tough enough to suffer everyday, to live with chronic pain, fatigue, nausea, bowel problems, pain, pain, and more pain...BUT it is still imparative, I cannot stress enough how impotant educating yourself is, how important it is NOT to always leave the decisions of your care to your DR alone...it is up to each patient to take responsibility for his/her medical management.

Think your to tired or to ill to do that, feeling desperate to get help? I am sure you are...but are you so tired and so desperate that you would drop your ' LIFE " into the hands of someone who is not experenced in your disease, not experienced or of the mind set that ARD is in fact a real medical problem, someone who has not given you the time you need to make informed decisions about your care, someone who dictates what will be done instead of listeneing to your thoughts and opinions or fears...do they answer your questiosn? Do they become standoffish when you start to ask questions? Are they givivng YOU the time you need to get your questions answered...are they open to listening to you, read material on ARD....be informed, be aware...BE your own best DR!

Bev

From: toni welsh <twelsh@hotmail.com> To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@forum.obgyn.net> Sent: Friday, January 21, 2000 7:58 AM Subject: gyn found a surgeon

> I have not been able to be here much right now.
> I was in total shock to hear about Christine, and am so very sorry to
> hear this. Some drs do not understand us!
>
> I had to bring my handicapped sister to the gyn Mon, and he asked me
> about my decision, about more surgery, he said he found a general
> surgeon who woud operate, and and he would be able to assist him in
> lysing adhesions. I have been still not ablle to eat and the dr saw
> that I was down to 93 lbs, and he had a fit. I had to get back with
> him.
>
> In the mean time we have found out my father in law, his cancer has come
> back, he was diagnosed with lung and liver cancer a year and 4 months
> ago. He has been taking chemo for the whole time, and they said 5
> months ago he was cleared up, miracle but it would return. I did call
> the gyn and talked to him last night and told him what we are dealibg
> with and I do not want to put anymore on my husband, not at the moment.
>
> Two weeks ago he had a seizure while shopping, and they out him in the
> hospital for 3 tests, and said that the cancer has returned and is
> definitely in the lymph nodes, and liver too, but they found two small
> spots in the brain, and they are so small right now, they will do
> another MRI in a few weeks, and they will know for sure if it is in the
> brain,a dn if it is I know what we are in for, the gyn said he feels the
> same way but to please keep in touch with him, and if I cannot tolerate
> the pain, PLEASE let him know.
>
> I have been having weird bouts of severe pain which started on New Years
> Day, aand they got so severe I was about to call 911. I had been taking
> senkot for days, and could not go, and when I would try to, I had severe
> pain doubling me over with the pressure so bad in the left side of the
> colon ,and I was supposed to be going out with my husband I told him a
> noon I HAVE to go, and the pressure finally got so bad I could not stand
> up, and I did not want to tell my husband, but finally after 3-4 hours I
> was able to go, and the pain was so bad all day from trying to go. I
> did not understand this pain being so hard, it was NEVER like that!
>
> I am now extremely scared to go under surgery again, now the gyn even
> said Toni, all we have now to work with is seprafilm, but the general
> surgeon he is talking baout had a patient with crohns who had at least
> 5-6 surgeies, and she needed a hhsterectomy, and the gyn and sirgeon
> worked together and she seem s to be doing fine, and she was full of
> adhesions.
>
> He knows how fast I developed extensive and densse adhesions 4 months
> after he took the last ovary, so I am afraid. Need alittle advice now!
> I have missed you all, one our computer died, and finally got a new one,
> and I am having little time now. I ahve been thinking of ALL of you!
>
> Toni
> Frozen in Ohio!
>
> Sorry this is SO long
>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: