Re: Quality of Life

Thu Mar 2 15:32:13 2000

Dear Dana, For me, this entire adhesion "thing" has been a series of emotions, not unlike the 7 stages of grieving. At first it was denial, "I'm just feeling post op pain. It can't be the adhesion pain returning!" Then I tried to do everything I used to do before adhesions, carrying stuff, running around like crazy, exercising etc. Then I found I couldn't do those things at the same pace I used to. I posted questions here just like you have "how much time do I have before I can't do anything" etc. Then I got depressed. I kept thinking, I can't do this, I can't do that. And the pain makes it hard to stay positive. Eventually I found the Paxil to help with the depression and the pain. I found a pain pill that works when I'm really hurting. And I learned what does and doesn't make my body hurt. Most importantly, I learned acceptance of my condition. OK so this is what I have to work with. Ok so at least it's not fatal. Ok so I can't do what I used to do, but I don't have something like MS I can still do most of what I want to. My quality of life is good. I still have my family. I have learned that I am more than just my ability to produce work. I have learned that I am strong enough to put on a happy face and fight the pain and do what I need to do. I have learned meditation and happy thoughts can reduce my pain. Most importantly, I have learned to appreciate every pain free moment as they come. In some ways, my quality of life is better than ever! Hope this helps. Don't be afraid. Don't worry about what is to come. Take each day as it comes because most of what we worry about never comes to pass. Just enjoy your family and each day that you can! As for me, I'm having a very bad day today. I'm scheduled to have my ovaries removed on March 17. The doctor thinks this one should do it! But just yesterday I dug and planted a 10 by 10 garden with my students! It's a trade off but it's worth it. Take care and relax, enjoy that baby!!! Jessica Dana wrote:

> A very special thank you to everyone who responded to my last post with
> such compassion and understanding. At this point, I am 3 weeks post-op
> and feeling better. (For those who didn't read before, just had
> hysterectomy and know I had adhesions from previous surgeries.)
>
> I have found that since I found out I had adhesions, that every time I
> have ANY pain in my abdomen, I want to attribute it to the adhesions. I
> am constantly thinking about my state and feeling depressed about it,
> although I have no reason to think that I might not get better and be
> pain-free for quite a while to come. My mother keeps reminding me that
> she's had numerous abdominal surgeries, has adhesions and has never
> experienced ANY adhesional pain. (Lucky her!!)
>
> My question for everyone is- how is the quality of your life right now?
> Are you in constant pain to the point of not being able to do the
> littlest things or does it come and go, with just certain times of being
> bed-ridden? Do you also find yourself consumed with thoughts of doom and
> gloom about your condition??
>
> I go see my surgeon tomorrow and plan to grill him intensely about the
> number and placement of my adhesions. Although I'm depressed about the
> situation, I don't plan to accept this quietly!!!
>
> Thanks and take care - Dana
>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: