Re: hydrocodone for pain?

Tue Mar 7 20:29:38 2000

I take hydrocodone as well, combined with acetaminaphen. It's called Lortab, Vicodin, Anexsia, or Zydone. Like most drugs, it probably has a dozen more names, as well. Actually, I WAS taking it. I hated it! It didn't help the pain, and it made me sick at first. Now, I guess I've gotten used to it, and it just makes things seem odd, unpleasant, high, I suppose. Here are a couple of things I found on it.

"Hydrocodone - Hydrocodone is an orally active analgesic and antitussive Schedule II narcotic which is marketed in multi-ingredient Schedule III products. The therapeutic dose of 5-10 mg is pharmacologically equivalent to 60 mg of oral morphine. Sales and production of this drug have increased significantly in recent years as have diversion and illicit use. Trade names include Anexsia, Hycodan, Hycoming, Lorcet, Lortab, Tussionex, Tylox and Vicodin. These are available as tablets, capsules and/or syrups. "

"Hydrocodone bitartrate and acetaminophen is supplied in tablet form for oral administration. Hydrocodone bitartrate is an opioid analgesic and anti-tussive and occurs as fine, white crystals or as a crystalline powder. It is affected by light. The chemical name is 4.5 a-epox-3-methoxy 17-methyl-morphinan-6-one tartrate (1:1 hydrate (2:5).

Acetaminophen, 4'-hydroxyacetanilide, a slightly bitter white odorless, crystalline powder is a non-opiate, non-salicylate analgesic and antipyretic.

Each Lortab 7.5/500 tablet contains:

Hydrocodone Bitartrate…7.5 mg (Warning: May be habit forming.) Acetaminophen…500 mg.

In addition, each tablet contains the following inactive ingredients: colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, micro crystaline cellulose, povidone, pregelatinized starch, stearic acid and sugar spheres which are composed of starch derived from corn, sucrose, FD&C Blue #1 and FD&C Yellow #10. "

Tara

----Original Message Follows---- From: Kb1707tiamet@aol.com Reply-To: adhesions@obgyn.net To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@forum.obgyn.net> Subject: Re: hydrocodone for pain? Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 17:44:51 -0600

Martha: I'm at the point where nothing short of an opiate pain pill is the only thing that works, & at that, not all the time. I've been on Darvocet, Fiorocat, Trazadone for pain.. The worst side-effect of all of these is constipation (which none of us needs),but the alternative is not acceptable! I just take Senokot-S (w/stool softener) to keep up what little BMs I have. I've had absolutely NO relief from analgesic drugs (Motrin, Alever, Advil), they're just a waste of my money. They've also had me on Ponstel, Naproxyn & others I cannot remember now. I've never heard if hydrocodone before. Could you post what king of drug class it's in & how many mg.s/day you take to alleviate your pain. Thanx!

Karla B.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: