prevention & treatment for surgical adhesions

Mon Mar 13 10:14:54 2000

I have just discovered your useful site and thank you for creating it. I am a new member of the "club" of people dealing with post-surgery adhesions.

In my own case, I've only been dealing with this since a full hysterectomy 2 years ago. My main symptoms are a feeling of restriction on the left side of my scar and the apparent narrowing of the sigmoid colon (revealed during an aborted sigmoidoscopy). The narrowing is also noticeable by a reduction in the diameter of typical stool size. The narrowing of the stool diameter has increased over the past year and causes me to speculate whether I am headed for eventual colon obstruction. The thought is scary.

There are 2 things I'd like to accomplish by participating in a sharing of information at this site: 1) to put pressure on physicians and hospitals to openly and proactively inform patients of this potential (probable) side effect to abdominal surgery and 2) to discover all effective methods for coping with adhesions already in place and preventing their continued growth.

I'd also like to give my adhesions to the surgeon who performed this operation and let him carry them around for the rest of his life. I feel this way because prior to making the decision to have this surgery, I asked him "what would happen to all the other organs adjacent my uterus and ovaries once they were removed - how would the body adjust to this reduction?" His reply? "Oh, they just shift in place a little." And for that, he has the nerve to take the big bucks.

Does anyone have additional suggestions for my quest to avoid colon obstruction (besides exercise, yoga, and low fat diet)? Thank you.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: