Re: Joint Commission Focuses on Pain Management

Tue Apr 25 18:51:00 2000

RE: Joint Commission Focuses on Pain ManagementThis is so cute....I had to smile..you will be well again my sweet Laura..you just watch and see!! God loves you, your family loves you, I love you and you will make it!!! Boy do I need these for Karla N. on Thursday morning as i am going to interceed for her on pain management...WOW...just in time here..thank-you my dear!!

Just what Bev needed this week...:-) See, you make my job just seem easy!!! Well, you and GOD do that is!! ( Bev laughing here!! )

love you my dear..

Bev

> ----- Original Message -----
From: LNewman@milbank.com To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2000 11:06 AM Subject: RE: Joint Commission Focuses on Pain Management

Oh man!!!!!!!!!! What a blessing!!!!!!!!!!! If I could hop, I would be hopping up so high, you would think I am an astronaut!!!

-----Original Message----- From: olddad66@runestone.net [SMTP:olddad66@runestone.net] Sent: Monday, April 24, 2000 3:57 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Joint Commission Focuses on Pain Management

The information below is from the following web site:

http://www.pain.com/news/jcaho_standards_consumers.cfm

[] Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) Sets New Standards for the Assessment and Management of Pain * -- August 3, 1999

Recognizing pain as a major, yet largely avoidable, public health problem, the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations has developed standards that create new expectations for the assessment and management of pain in accredited hospitals and other health care settings. These standards have been endorsed by the American Pain Society.

Hospitals, home care agencies, nursing homes, behavioral health facilities, outpatient clinics and health plans will be called upon to:

* recognize the right of patients to appropriate assessment and management of pain;

* assess the existence and, if so, the nature and intensity of pain in all patients;

* record the results of the assessment in a way that facilitates regular reassessment and follow-up;

* determine and assure staff competency in pain assessment and management, and address pain assessment and management in the orientation of all new staff.

* establish policies and procedures which support the appropriate prescription or ordering of effective pain medications;

* educate patients and their families about effective pain management, and;

* address patient needs for symptom management in the discharge planning process.

I have excerpted the following comments from the above article:

The new standards explicitly acknowledge that pain is a co-existing condition with a number of diseases and injuries, and require explicit attention.

Unrelieved pain has enormous physiological and psychological effects on patients. The Joint Commission believes the effective management of pain is a crucial component of good care. Research clearly shows that unrelieved pain can slow recovery, create burdens for patients and their families, and increase costs to the health care system.

The new pain management standards - along with examples of compliance - are being included in 2000-2001 standard manuals for the affected Joint Commission accreditation programs.

These standards are putting the importance of pain management at center stage, ensuring that health care providers and professionals will take pain management in a serious way.

````````````````````````

The 15th century proverb which summarizes the purpose of medicine is:

* To cure sometimes, to relieve often, to comfort always. *

http://www.adhesions.org/forums/listcmds.htm

This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: