Re: when to have surgery...adhesion barriers

Wed May 31 19:40:26 2000

Thanks for your response.At my request my surgeon used Seprafilm Bioresorbable Membrane. This film is indicated for use as an adjunct in laparotomy. It is applied just prior to surgical closure and serves as a bioresorbable barrier to separate opposing tissue surfaces. *Long term clinical outcomes such as chronic pain, infertility and small bowel obstruction have not been determined in clinical studies. I have been dealing with adhesions for about 10 years. I do believe the barrier did slow down my adhesion formation, but not eliminate it. I would opt for Seprafilm again. Has anyones surgeon concentrated their efforts on intervening at varying points in the pathway of adhesion formation? Or do we wait until something shuts down? My surgeon told me to call him when I started vomiting, I just don't want to wait until things are that bad. Every time I wait until I can't stand it, something goes wrong. The last time I had the laparoscopy done, my bowel was nicked and I hemorrhaged. Ended up with the laparotomy and my doctor asked why I waited so long? Any comments? Thanks, Sherry in WV

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: