The International Adhesions Society is truly becoming

Wed Jun 14 13:25:45 2000

The International Adhesions Society is beginning to show signs of truly being an international organization!! First, Joanne Butman from California learned about this wonderful surgeon, Dr. Korell, from Germany through a friend of hers from Germany. Then it took alot of courage for Joanne to decide to travel from California to Germany for her adhesiolysis in March 2000!

As a result of Joanne's pioneering effort, now another International Adhesions Society member, Mary Pomroy, has decided to travel from Canada to Germany for her surgery too. Her surgery is set for July 17, 2000!

Dr. Korell is not only an excellent surgeon; but over the past 20 years, he has done alot of research related to adhesions.

Surgeons in Europe have the advantage of being able to use the gel adhesion barrier, Intergel, at the conclusion of their surgical procedures. Dr. Korell believes that Intergel does help to prevent the formation of adhesions. He also believes that a second look laparoscopy is another way of intervening on adhesions.

We all need to remember that none of this would have been possible without David Wiseman's help!!! Dr. Wiseman, who is the founder of the International Adhesions Society, recognized the need for a support and education organization for the hundreds of people from all over the world who suffer from adhesions - and thus the International Adhesions Society was registered and went online April 1999...all due to the efforts of this kind and caring person. I hope that each of you, who makes use of this web site, will remember to thank him for making all of this possible! Dr. Wiseman has definitely made alot of difference in the lives of the many people who post and read messages on the Message Board. Thank you, Dr. Wiseman!!

* Beverly's message is directly below the letter she received from Dr. Korell:

>----- Original Message -----
From: M.Korell <M.Korell@t-online.de> To: <bnb@cybrzn.com> Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2000 4:02 AM Subject: Re: Mary Pomroy Of Canada

Dear Beverly Doucette,

I am in contact with Mary Pomroy and I gave her the date, July 17th for surgery. Regarding your questions:

You are right that usually OB/GYNs work only in the lower abdominal cavity when there are genital organs present. Because I have many years of experience in doing adhesiolysis - even in severe cases - I perform my interventions throughout the whole abdomen. I do minor bowel surgery alone. If there is a need for a bowel anastomosis, I work together with a general surgeon.

For the preoperative testing there is no need to fax the results in advance. It is sufficient to bring all the available findings and the previous records of operations with. Specially, if there is done a chest x-ray, we don`t want to cause any additional radiation.

All the other pre-op testings like blood draw, EKG etc. are better to be done here in Germany. They are all included in the standard price for hospital stay; so there are no additional costs. As well, there is all medication included during the hospital stay.

Regarding the length of hospital stay: It depends on the severity of adhesiolysis - which can be followed by complications like bleeding or bowel perforation. Therefore, we need an intensive postoperative care which continues several days following surgery. After an uneventful course we can continue the postoperative care in an outpatient manner.

It is easy to come to Duisburg from Düsseldorf airport. One can take the railway ( S-Bahn S1 ) in direction to Dortmund. Leaving the train in Duisburg central station ( Hauptbahnhof - Hbf. ) you can take a taxi to Klinikum Duisburg, Wedau Kliniken, Zu den Rehwiesen 9 - which costs about 15 DM. It is helpful to change money at the airport because not all drivers accept credit cards. You can also use the taxi directly from Düsseldorf Airport to the hospital which costs about 60 DM.

The nearest hotel is hotel ibis Duisburg ( e-mail h0846@accor-hotels.com ) near the central station ( Mercatorstr. 15, D-47051 Duisburg Tel.: +49/203/3000-50 Fax -88 ). If you don`t want service and special comfort, there are also possibilities in our hospital hostel ( 50 DM per day, eating in the hospital restaurant not included ). There is no need to bring linen etc. with, beside teeth brush, pyjama, towels and your special personal things.

The waiting list is not clearly defined. It depends mainly on my personal schedule. At the moment we can offer the beginning of July. The length of the stay in Germany may be 2 weeks - if the postoperative course is uneventful.

Regarding your questions about laptop and email, I think you can`t use your laptop here for email ( different system ! ). But, you can use my email to get in contact with the United States. There is no need for special permission from the government.

I hope I could answer your questions.

Yours sincerely

Dr. Matthias Korell Frauenklinik im Klinikum Duisburg Zu den Rehwiesen 9 47055 Duisburg Tel.: +49/203/733-2201 Fax: +49/203/733-2201 email M.Korell@t-online.de

Bernie and Beverly Doucette schrieb:

Dear Dr. Korell, I have read your information on your adhesiolysis procedure and am very impressed with it. I have been assisitng Mary Pomroy in her search for medical intervention for her adhesion disease and in the event she is accepted by you for a surgical procedure, I will accompany her to Germany. Do we need permission from your government to come into the country for this surgery?

I am asking you if there would be any opportunity for communication back to the United States via computer while I am there? Perhaps you would allow me to have dailly access to your PC so I can check in with my family as well as with the International Adhesion Society. I would bring a lap top but I am unsure of the electrical requirements in your country.

Does the patient undergoing an adhesiolysis procedure have to remain in-patient, if the surgery is uneventful? Please advise as soon as possible, thank-you.

Sincerely, Beverly Doucette

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: