Re: Pain meds for adhesions?

Thu Jun 15 10:58:03 2000

Hi, LauraN here and I wanted to ask a question of Jay; I am on the morphine pump from Medtronics (a catheder is attached to my spine and the pump is placed in a pocket just under the skin that is the size of the palm of your hand and on your side) and it admits a low dosage of the drug on a 24/hr time limit. You mentioned that withdrawal is painful. Other than asking my dr. who is very hard to reach (and I mean the pain clinic since they are the ones monitoring the pump and me), and I would like to know a little more, especially what kind of pain are you referring to and the fact that I thought that they give you another drug (methadone) to cut the morphine and bring you off slowly so that you do not suffer through withdrawal. The withdrawal situation is what I am thinking you are referring to, but I find it hard to imagine that a dr. would take you off these high-powered drugs and you go "cold turkey". That would be so cruel. One time my pump ran out (they did not tell me that my pump would not alarm as in "alarm clock" alarm, it was just an internal saying and second, they did not calabrate it correctly so it actually ran out before the date stated. Needless to say, I started going through withdrawal and it was an ugly sight. I was sick as a dog and I went off about it because it took two days for them to figure out how to manage my case and to get everything under control. I will ask about this kind of thing so I will be prepared before I go to Scranton for surgery. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention -- it has raised quite a few brows and a little "Things that make you go hummmmm.... by Arsenio Hall"

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Poutinen, Jay [SMTP:jpoutine@uwsp.edu]
> Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 1:46 AM
> To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS
> Subject: RE: Pain meds for adhesions?
>
> There are stronger pain medications. Some narcotics are Demerol,
> methadone,
> and Fentanyl (worn as a patch). While these potent narcotics can relieve
> pain, there are also problems associated with these drugs. Long-term, in
> order to get the same pain relief, you will have to increase your dosage.
> Also, use of these narcotics can actually cause pain. They are addictive,
> and withdrawal can be painful.
>
> Some people have success with Marinol (marijuana softgels) to lessen pain
> and nausea.
>
> Of course, you should consult your physician.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: rcmanus@ipa.net [mailto:rcmanus@ipa.net]
> Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2000 4:24 PM
> To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS
> Subject: Pain meds for adhesions?
>
> What do some of you take for the meds related to adhesions. Until I
> find a surgeon (and faith in procedures) that won't make the situation
> worse, I'd like to find something that will ease the pain caused by this
> crap. I now (believe) have rectal adhesions related to endometriosis.
> Nothing seems to touch it. I've tried Soma, Darvon, Motrin. Any ideas?
> Thanks!
> Rachel
>

This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: