Re: Some of the risks of surgeries...choosing a surgeon....for Misty & others

Mon Jun 19 11:22:06 2000

Dear Helen, Maybe my first Dr.'s lack of skill is one of the reasons why my pain is so bad, I found out AFTER my surgery to remove my left ovary due to cysts and endo, that my surgeon had NoT EVER done this procedure through a laporoscope previously to mine. He actually bragged to me post op, that my case was his first time using this equipment and about how excited he was with the result of my case! He led me to believe that he was experienced and NOT to worry. HA! I have had pain on my left side since 2 months post op! As time has passed the pain has gotten worse. I switched Dr.'s due to inappropriate bedside manner and being told that pelvic pain was part of being a woman and to just live with it. I decided to go to Stanford, and let Dr.'s who specialize in Endo take over. I was also suffering from pain on near the right ovary. I was put on Synerel and stayed on with fair to good results for one year without taking any estrogen. The only trouble was that my bone density was deteriorating. As a result of other gyn findings, I soon had a complete hysterectomy done by a wonderful lady surgeon trained under Dr. Carmen Nazat at Stanford. I am mostly pain free on my right side but still have INTENSE pain on my left. The pain gets so bad that I cannot tolerate food because it feels like my bowel is tearing or pressing on something in the area of the pain. I recently had a colonoscopy and also endoscopy to rule out any obstruction etc. My Dr. concluded that the pain was from abdominal adhesions and sent me back to my gyn. My gyn agreed and sent me back to my primary care and general surgeon, as she (the gyn)explained that she was afraid to do further surgery for fear of further injury. It was also brought to my attention that during my surgery there was a strong possibility that the bowel was nicked in that area and scar tissue there may be part of the problem. My primary care Dr. has now recommended me to have a CT scan to rule out any other possibilities. I am soon scheduled for this, and am still unable to eat other than liquids without being in a great amount of pain. My primary care Dr. said she felt that if my pain continues, I may need another surgery to remove the adhesions on the abdominal wall and bowel, but warned me that they would likely reoccur. As far as abdominal surgery goes, I have had 5 laporoscopies, 2 c-sections, left oopherectomy and finally the complete hysterectomy. My pain symptoms include the tearing-ripping sensation on my left side as well as a feeling of stabbing pain when I eat solid foods. I have noticed the more active I am, the more I feel this tearing sensation. The last suggestion from my Dr. was to have another lap to see if I really did have adhesions causing my troubles. At this point, I am really sick of going from Dr. to Dr, and not interested in more surgery.............I have also recently had a golf ball size lesion removed from my left breast. I just want to get healthy and get on with my life. My question to you is this: Isn't there any other way to diagnose adhesions and could adhesions on the abdominal wall and bowel cause pain that goes all the way around my side to my back. Also could adhesions cause episodes of difficulty and mucus in bowel elimination? Living in pain is stressful and frustrating, I do not want to take pain meds...I need to be very alert in my job. I pray allot and my faith in Christ gets me through each day, but my pain is ongoing. Please let me know if you have any suggestions, and thank you for being there and for this site. Natalie

> ----- Original Message -----
From: Helen Dynda To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Sent: Sunday, June 18, 2000 3:45 PM Subject: Some of the risks of surgeries...choosing a surgeon....for Misty & others

NEVER choose a surgeon, who says that he has "only performed the surgery a few times!!!" This warning is not only for Misty - this warning is for EVERYONE who suffers from adhesions, endometriosis, etc!!!

One of the three options Misty was given by her doctors is:

" He can do the surgery which he has only performed a few times. He has done this surgery a few times with Interceed and seprafilm."

You may be experiencing very severe pain and you may be really anxious to have a surgery - which you hope will take away your pain; but if you choose to have surgery done by a surgeon, who has done a surgical procedure "only a few times", you are asking for serious problems. What kind of problems? Problems with adhesions re-forming, ( de nova ( new ) adhesions developing away from the site of the surgery.

With increased adhesion formation, you can expect to experience more severe chronic pain. If that isn't enough, there is always the risk of injury and possible loss of your reproductive organs. There is also the possible risk of injury to your intestines, your bladder, etc.

NEVER choose a surgeon before you know that the surgeon is very experienced and very skilled in doing the specific surgical procedure, which you have been told that you need!! It is also very wise for you to seek a second opinion!

Perhaps Bev will read this - and hopefully she will share with all of us - how she chose Dr. Harry Reich to be her surgeon for her April 1999 adhesiolysis.

The International Adhesions Society Message Board archives contains alot of evidence that many of you, who post messages here, have had far too many surgeries done, have lost reproductive organs unnecessarily, and have suffered from peritonitis as a result of injury to your bowel or blood left in your pelvic cavitiy.

It is in your best interest to choose a surgeon who:

1.) has had advanced training in microsurgical procedures.

2.) is very skillful and experienced with the use of the laparoscope.

3.) is very meticulous and does whatever is necessary to make sure that no blood is left in the pelvic cavity.

I am not a medical professional...and I do not know it all; but with Bev's experience as a former RN and as a result of having selected Dr. Reich to be her surgeon, I am sure that Bev can offer additional information as to how to choose a surgeon.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: