Fibrin sealant...Dr. J. Glenn Bradley

Thu Jul 6 01:09:18 2000

Wonder of wonders!! I was able to find Dr. Bradley's comment about fibrin sealant. Is fibrin sealant different from fibrin glue? I do not know. I will check that out.

Here is the transcript, where this information is located,

[] Dr. Bradley's "Laparoscopic Approach to Adhesions" Chat - June 16, 1998

http://www.obgyn.net/women/features/Bradley_061698.htm

Drbradley I suppose most surgeons want a "wow" result, and no barrier can give you this. Further improper use may negate the efficacy of a barrier, and I'll bet with Interceed not every case is absolutely blood free as this will adversely effect the barrier.

Annor Ok ..... thanks for your opinion.

Drbradley Because Interceed is the only commercially available barrier for laparoscopic use, I do use it. I have also used Fibrin sealant as a barrier.

mary_s Now what is that? I don't believe we've heard Fiibrin mentioned before. Just Interceed and Seprafilm.

Drbradley My gut reaction is that early second look and lysis in the long run will prove to be very worthwhile. Fibrin is basically a blood clot without the red cells. The data is conflicting.... some studies indicate a reduction in post-surgical adhesion formation, others have suggested it does not make a difference.

mary_s So what is your recommendation to women facing surgery either by laparotomy or laparoscopy? Should they ask their dr to look via laparoscope for adhesions a week after surgery? And will most insurances cover this?

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: