small bowel obstruction

Wed Jul 19 15:42:41 2000

I posted on the board a little while back re abdominal pain and adhesions. I was diagnosed with extensive adhesions some years ago, following a laparoscopy and I've been experiencing abdominal pain accompainied by frequent BM for some while now which is becoming more frequent/painful/prolonged. I finally saw my GP today who feels that I could have a partial small bowel obstruction. I have to go back next week for an internal (to rule out gynae problems) and to discuss possible courses of action - including a referral to a gynae or general surgeon for laparotomy (with the associated risk of recurrence) or to manage conservatively with diet/drugs. In the meantime she has told me to have a low fibre diet and has prescribed anti spasmodic drugs to reduce the pain. I'm loath to have surgery (due to problems with recurrence but do not want to run the risk of a complete obstruction. How successful is conservative management in this situation as the tablets have not really reduced my pain any?(though I've only taken them since mid-morning so it may be too early to tell. Any advice?

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: