From Germany...Bev and Mary are very appreciative of your words of support!!

Thu Jul 27 14:53:54 2000

Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 3:58 AM

Subject: Re: From Germany

Hello Friends,

I will share the opinion of Dr. Korell regarding what he has seen here through the IAS once I get home; but he is very impressed with it...cudos for US all!!! Please say Hello to Anne for me; and tell her we have resorted to a book for translation...and dictionary for German-English - as it is faster than that darn translator thing I bought for $20 in the USA!!!

I will be leaving all that here with Dr. Korell ( the translator, the book, as well as the plug-in transformers for the electricity here )...so that others, who elect to follow us, will have access to the use of them and will not have to incur this expense as we had to!! Okay??

I am logging everything here..all costs, eating places, things to see and do, everything; so once we return, I will have it all together and will get it ready for the IAS!!

Mary, Dr. Korell, and I had a newspaper interview here on Tuesday. The information, which you sent in German, was well received by the reporter...thank-you! I think he was impressed that we did that for him. He smiled - and a great big smile - when I handed it to him!! See, Helen, you can be sitting way over there in Minnesota and be getting things done here in Germany. In fact, you did it while you were sleeping too!!!! Well, maybe YOU weren't sleepng at the time; but most others in the USA would have been!! :-)

At this time Mary is in for her second-look surgery. We are hoping that Dr. Korell will be able to take down any re-formed adhesions. Even though Mary has experienced a good 80% relief with her pain and with her breathing, she did start to feel that the adhesions might have re-formed and re-attached her stomach to her diaphragm once again - not as bad as before - but something was not right. We discussed this with Dr. Korell and he said that due to the large area of attachemnt in that area, there was a very high probability that they did re-form and re-attach! IF that has happened, he intends to lyse them and then use both Interceed adhesion barrier and the Intergel solution as a means to keep them apart! Some of the problem is that Mary's stomach thinks it should be in that position. We asked if he could simply "tack it down" to something else and make it stay in place; but Dr. Korell said that there was a no go on that one!!!

Dr. Korell is very forthright in his opinions and ideas as to what Mary might need in order to actually be able to live a decent life; and we will have more answers about that today! As we all know, there is NEVER a guarantee that adhesions will not re-form; and no sure cure that we will be able to live without some form or degree of pain. Even IF the adhesions do not re-form in a problematic way, pain may simply have to be integrated into our lives; and as long as that degree of pain is tolerable, it is okay with me. As long as Mary can at least breath and lay down, it is okay with her too!! That is what we are hoping to accomplish here at this time!! Only the future and time will tell as to the success of all this; but it is the best chance Mary has - and it is a very good one at that!!! Dr. Korell has already discussed future intervention needs for Mary - in the event she needs them - and that alone is a far cry from what most ARD sufferers ever get from a Doctor!!!

Dr. Korell is a very nice man - he is quick to laugh and smile! He is so accommodating too. He even told Mary to pack her "pajamies" when she was preparing to come to Germany. He is always asking if things are good; and he expresses his opinions openly and frankly. Dr. Korell is interested in helping anyone whom he feels he can help...when it comes to ARD!!

We will know the outcome of this second-look surgery in about three hours. And, again, I would like to express our appreciation for all your words of support. They have really pulled us through while we are away from our homes, our families and our friends! We wake up in the morning anticipating an email from home; and it is such a positive feeling of happiness!! Even though it doesn't stop the wanting to get home, it sure helps to hear from everyone and know how much we are thought about!! Thank-yoü all...so very, very, much!

I will get to all of you with an update on Mary as soon as I hear anything..

Love and peace to all

Bev

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: