Regarding partial bowel obstruction...Toni

Wed Aug 2 08:08:51 2000

Hi Toni, I am sorry you have been having such a rough time. I will share my experiences with you regarding obstruction. When I was hospitalized with a partial bowel obstruction, my symptoms were; abdominal pain that was more severe in the upper and lower right quadrants,crampy/colicky, nausea, and I had not passed any gas or stools for over 24 hrs. prior to admission. My white cell count was also elevated. I had hypoactive bowel sounds, loss of appetite and bowel distention. When I had acute bowel obstructions, the pain is unbearable, vomiting is uncontrollable. I also carry a low grade fever a lot. With obstructions you can have diarrhea early in the process and constipation late in the process. I have read that adhesions account for 60 to 70% of bowel obstructions. I believe having an x-ray can show air fluid levels which can reveal obstruction. I hope this helps. It is important to talk with your doctor if you think you may be obstructed and get any tests necessary. I know how frustrated you are, but you have to keep going. It's your body and you know if something is wrong. Please take care of yourself. We are here for you. With love, Sherry Marie

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: