Re: Always Know Exactly What You Put In Your Mouth

Tue Aug 15 20:15:04 2000

Several years ago, when my husband got his thyroid medicine refilled, I had to take them to him at work, & he opened the bottle & told me they were a different color, but he said he was going to take it any way. I wouldnt let him & called the pharmasist right away. It was a stronger dose than he usually takes. I went & got him the right dose. The pharmasist said that they are human & sometimes they make mistakes. They try not too, but every now & then mistakes do happen. He told me that any time I have a question about medication, to ask first, before it is taken. Just a couple of months ago, I got a prescription refilled & when I got home I noticed they were a different color, so I called the pharmacy. They told me it was because they changed manufactures, so not to worry I did have the right medication. I have had the same pharmasist for 18 years, except for 2 prescriptions I had to get somewhere else when they were closed on the weekends. I have a very close relationship with my pharmasist. He has caught a couple of times when I was prescibed something that I was alergic to. He has actually been the one who has encourged me to ask for more pain medications & has even given me names of meds that might work best for me. (in his computer, he has a list of everything I have taken.) He has even kept his store open late just so I could get there to pick up some medicine. He is the man that I trust with my life. He knows more about the medication I get than the Dr that gives it to me does. I wish everyone could have a pharmasist like I do, but, I also live in a small town. If you dont know, ASK! Best of luck Robin

At Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Helen Dynda wrote: >
>Medication Errors That Have Occurred and How You Can Avoid Them:
>
>1.) Enter: http://www.ismp.org/
>2.) Click: Alerts for Patients
>3.) Click: Always Know Exactly What You Put In Your Mouth
>4.) From the last paragraph:
>"All human beings make mistakes, even health care professionals. Therefore, don't make tragic and mistaken assumptions that can cost your life. Know exactly what medication you're taking and what it's intended to do. Also, know exactly what you're swallowing. If there is any doubt, read labels and/or ask your health professional to help. If you don't know for sure what's in a prescription bottle, medicine cup, or drinking cup, don't swallow it."

--
Robin

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: