Re: teresa-Question on adhesions.......posted by ardie amador

Tue Aug 22 23:54:36 2000

At Tue, 22 Aug 2000, ardie amador wrote:

I also am new to this site, and was glad for me to find that I am not the only one having these problems. I would like to pass on a little helpful hint for the constipation that I found in an old home remedy book of all places. Every morning before you eat or drink anything else, drink 2 glasses cold water. I didn't believe it at first, but I find that if i follow through, within 2 hours i am having a bowel movement. It does work really well, at least for me, and God, it is so cheap. Why can't all meds work like this or be that inexpensive.

Try it, and I hope it works for you as well as it has for me.

Reply-To: adhesions@obgyn.net To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@talk.obgyn.net>

Subject: Re: teresa-Question on adhesions

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 11:47:49 -0500

Yes, Teresa, please tell us what is working for you. yesterday I could not even walk and to try to move the pain and costricting pain was terrible. I have not gone to the bathroom for awhile, and I do think that was part of the problem, but some of my drs just do not listen to me, if I do not take a laxative of some sort, and they tell me senekot being a vegetable laxative, will not hurt my bowel, I do not go. I am feeling now my bowel has become reliant on laxatives.

Last week I took it on Monday night, and the cramps kept me awake for 3 hours, and finally I did go, but it hurts to have a bowel movement. People who do not have this problem do not understand the terrible pain. For a lot of people it is just normal to go everyday. They do not understand my fear. My mother died after an episode kind of a bowel obstruction, but I know now she had a different situation. Her bowel died, and the blood supply was cut off to her bowel, and the drs kept telling her it was the flu. Well she had 3 surgeries in 3 days 6 hours long, and we lost her. She was very ill and I know this. We did not know it then, she trusted her drs. WRONG!

Well we lost another family member, he was 70 years old, but he had a colonoscopy in June, and the dr DID tell him he could not get the scope in, and he did have a blockage, well he was told to see a surgeon, and he didn't. He got sick on a Sunday, and they had to remove 7 inches of his bowel, but he had already developed an infection, they put a temporary colostomy on him and gave him 48 hours and they would have to go back in, well 28 hours later they performed emergency surgery again, and he died the next night. This WAS a bowel obstruction that killed him

My fears a so real and strong, and I am extremely scared of ANYMORE surgery unless there is an obstruction, but when you have this happen in your family so many times, and crohns disease in your son and sister the fears are greater, I am scared, and very scared. Today I am feeling better, but I am convinced that I am having partial obstructions at times, due to the extreme pain I get at times. Do any of you understand this fear, or am I crazy?

I hope today finds you all happy, I am to the point now where I do not even feel like going out too often, and that is not me. I guess I just want to feel good again, and time keeps going on. When is someone going to find a way to help us. Boy I did not expect this to be so long, sorry! Love to all, Toni

At Sun, 24 Oct 1999, teresa hunt wrote:

Toni, I am so sorry to hear of your pain. I do know of the pain of constipation and still experience it EVERY time I go. The patch helps me to tolerate much more. It is not supposed to be as constipating as the pills. In the past month (drs orders)I have taken right at 200 peri-colace. I eat apples, drink juice, bran and high fiber stuff I think it makes it worse. I do drink lots of liquids. Just pee a lot. I go about every 4-6 days and then not as much as I've took in. Every so often about once a month I'll get more out but not enough. (sorry so crude). I hope we all will find peace with the pain before long, we have all suffered too much. ANY at all is too much. God Bless Teresa

At Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Gina wrote:

Hi Teresa, What new meds that really work??? Tell all! :-) Yes I have noticed the people giving the most advise on how to deal with adhesions, have never had one themselves. There should be a rule about that! LOL Hugs, Gina

At Sat, 23 Oct 1999, teresa hunt wrote:

Hi Gina: I have a bad few days and hevan't been on-line. (Getting adjusted to the new meds which REALLY WORK). Family and friends don't know what will make your pain and adhesions better unless they have experienced them personally. That old saying about walking a mile in my shoes goes for adhesions too!!! Keep the faith and it's NEVER too late to do something about it. Teresa

Reply-To: adhesions@obgyn.net To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@talk.obgyn.net>

Subject: Question on adhesions

Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:06:19 -0500

I am new here, though by all rights I should have been here 18 years ago because that's when my adventure with adhesions began. Only I didn't know it (and docs didn't dx it) til I had surgery 8/12/99. Now I am known as "adhesion prone". Yippeeee! (BTW, I have a weird sense of humor, better to laugh than cry most days).

Anyway, it wasn't til after my 2nd surgery (9/15/99) that I researched adhesions and found out it was possible to prevent them with exercise immediately after surgery, or with barriers, etc. No one told me--even though they knew I was adhesion prone. So I laid flat for 2 weeks solid "resting", hardly ever moving because I was told not to "over-do" it, etc. Now I find out it was the worst thing I could have done! It "set" my new adhesions permanently doing that, I think?

Anyway I am getting tired of everyone (friends & family) telling me the best thing for adhesions is exercise. Sure in the beginning that might be true to keep them from attaching. But at 5 weeks post-op, when they have already started to harden and be permanently attached, most exercise hurts!!! ALOT! I can walk for a short time comfortably, but any bending, twisting, tummy and lower back area stuff is excruciating.

Are they right? Should I be trying to exercise through the pain to detach them? Are my new adhesions permanent at 5 weeks, and hard? Is there anything I can do besides surgery and pills, to get rid of the pain and the adhesions at 5 weeks post-op?

My doc who did the surgery told me that yes I do have new adhesions again in pelvic area, and I will just have to live with chronic pain. He told me that at 2 & 1/2 weeks post-op! He gave up. He said no one will operate to remove adhesions only, just because it hurts. He also said in my case any surgery to remove adhesions would make more (even laparoscopy since that was how these last 2 surgeries were done, and both created new adhesions). I am not ready to accept "chronic pain" when it seems early enough to do SOME thing about them? Thanks, Gina

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: