Medications for........many medications are listed!!!!

Thu Sep 21 22:34:51 2000

You will find many medications listed at this site!!! Many may be medications, which you are currently taking for other conditions!!!

[] Medications for Fibromyalgia & Myofascial Pain Syndromes

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Villa/5998/page3.html

I am not a physician, and the information that I provide comes from the net, and the many books that I read on FMS. Always consult your physician before trying anything new to control your pain. People with FMS/MPS don't assimilate substances the way normal people do, and it is imperative that you consult your physician and report any problems you may experience. Many of these have side effects, and don't forget that many don't offer instant actions, they must build up in your system to the right level for you.

Let's talk about depression. Anyone with a Chronic Illness ( with no tests to prove it; and doctors who, even if they diagnose it, aren't quite sure what to do to help us ) would be a little sad and depressed. Well maybe more than a little bit for some of us.

Everytime I ventured out again to a doctor and exposed my pain to him, the first thing he would usually try to give me was antidepressants!!! Being the stubborn person I am, I would promptly throw the rx away, and never go to him again. My pain wasn't in my head ( as he thought ) but in my body. I wasted alot of money trying to find out what my problem was - as I hear most of you have also.

Even though the pain wasn't psychosomatic, the antidepressants would have done me some good probably, as I now know; and my fear of addiction to pain medication was wrong is another thing that I have learned. Although I still do not take pain medications, I do take a SSRI and a Muscle relaxer - which helps me deal with the serotonin depletion problem, and relaxes my muscles at night so that I can sleep - and produce more serotonin, growth factor, and many other hormones that I appeared to be unable to produce with my sleep anomaly.

Depression does not cause pain; but being in pain does appear to contribute to our depression. In regards to maintenance with mild narcotics ( such as Darvocet, Tylenol #3, Vicodin, Lorcet,Lortab etc...for non-malignant noncancerous chronic pain conditions ), narcotics may be a humane way/alternative solution - after all other attempts at pain control have been exhausted and failed. It is not that these are wrong; but the main problem is with raised dosages of these medications. It is not really the narcotic components; but with the aspirin or acetaminophen that is often compounded with them. Narcotic analgesics are sometimes more easily tolerated than the NSAIDS ( non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ). Remember that neither FMS nor MPS are inflammatory. Prolonged use of narcotic analgesics is not the same as psychological dependence/addiction. Under treatment for chronic pain of FMS/MPS this results in a worsening contraction - which results in even more pain.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: