Re: Questions To Ask Before Surgery

Thu Oct 5 09:10:31 2000

Hi Karla!

It is so good to hear from you. I am a newcomer to the board, but I have been following your story. I think of you often and was wondering how things were going for you. Please let us know the date of you surgery. I will be praying for you. I know things will get better for you. I know it seems like a never ending battle, but we all have to hope for better things in the future.(easier said than done, I know).

Take Care,

--
Kathy L.

At Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Karla wrote: > >Hi all! > >I know it has been a while since I have been to this site....and while I >still need to maintain my distance from getting overly involved at this >time, I wanted to give you all an update. > >Helen is right with your questions to ask....I just experienced this >last week. I had been dealing with the kidney and ear infection and was >really feeling rotten a week or more after gtting treatment. I went to >a new pcp (I feel like my old one just didn't want to deal with me >anymore)and when he tapped me on my back, like they do when checking for >kidney infections, I actually fell out of my chair. He immediately sent >me for an ultrasound which showed a lot of gallstones and what may be >tumors on my kidneys. I was shipped via ambulance down to a hospital in >Green Bay where they were going to do surgery....well they thought they >were going to do surgery...and I was not going to stand up for myself >and say no....because I needed pain relief...but then I remembered my >life as it is now and how I got that way and I asked....do I have to >have surgery now? The answer of course was no. My answer was...I'm out >of here. This happened on Thursday and I was scheduled to >fly down to Chicago on Tuesday. I brought with me my ultrasound reports >and have given them to my doctors. It may help these doctors move a >little quicker...here's hoping. But I suggested to my internist that >when they do my surgery they just remove the gallbladder so it doesn't >cause me any problems after I have had my surgery and he agreed!!!! I >had suggested that to the doctors in Milwaukee years ago....I hadn't >ever had any gallbladder problems but didn't want to risk developing >them once they did a surgery that actually worked...well they wouldn't >hear of it. Of course then you have to look at the fact that they never >did a surgery that worked either. (Oh yea...the weather report says its >supposed to snow this weekend...I'm crying here) > >I am in Chicago now...going home this afternoon. I hope I get home >before the weather does. I have to fly down here again next Tuesday. >They are going to put in a spinal pain block. I was told that the first >one probably would not work for more than a few days...so they will >schedule me to come back two weeks later for a second one and then two >weeks later for a permanent working one. I am on totally new pain >medications...am losing the fentanyl patch. That can cause respiratory >depression which I have been having signs of...but the pain doctors felt >that the patches were not as beneficial as the medicine they were going >to give me would be...in combination with the block. I will be on >oxycontin 20mg 2-3 times a day and then oxy1r 5mg 1-2 every 4 hours for >breakthrough pain. Any comments? I am a bit leery of the block...but >the anesthesiologist was quite sure it would work. > >I have gone back and read some of the postings and would like to say a >few things. KIMMI, don't write off the great doctors Redan and Reich. >There are ways of getting to Pennsylvania. Don't put yourself in a >position where you end up like me. The other comment is to say thank >you to everyone that wrote with your best wishes. I am still very >overwhelmed with my life right now...wanting to see some light at the >end of the tunnel. But my taking time away is good for me. I will be >with you all in my prayers. > >-- >Karla >>Are you facing surgery? You are not alone. Millions of Americans have >>surgery each year. Most operations are not emergencies. This means you >>have time to ask your surgeon questions about the operation and time to >>decide whether to have it, and if so, when and where. The information >>presented here does not apply to emergency surgery. >> >>The most important questions to ask about elective surgery are why the >>procedure is necessary for you and what alternatives there are to >>surgery. If you do not need to have the operation, then you can avoid >>any risks that might result. All surgeries and alternative treatments >>have risks and benefits. They are only worth doing if the benefits are >>greater than the risks. >> >>Your primary care doctor, that is, your regular doctor, may be the one >>who suggests that you have surgery and may recommend a surgeon. You may >>want to identify another independent surgeon to get a second opinion. >>Check to see if your health insurance will pay for the operation and the >>second opinion. If you are eligible for Medicare, it will pay for a >>second opinion. You should discuss your insurance questions with your >>health insurance company or your employee benefits office. >> >>Questions To Ask The Doctor Or Health Professional >> >>Following are questions to ask your primary care doctor and surgeon >>before you have surgery, and the reasons for asking them. The answers >>to these questions will help you be informed and help you make the best >>decision. >> >>Your doctors should welcome questions. If you do not understand the >>answers, ask the doctors to explain them clearly. Patients who are well >>informed about their treatment tend to be more satisfied with the >>outcome or results of their treatment. >> >>What Operation Are You Recommending? >> >>Ask your surgeon to explain the surgical procedure. For example, if >>something is going to be repaired or removed, find out why it is >>necessary to do so. Your surgeon can draw a picture or a diagram and >>explain to you the steps involved in the procedure. >> >>Are there different ways of doing the operation? One way may require >>more extensive surgery than another. Ask why your surgeon wants to do >>the operation one way over another. >> >>Why Do I Need The Operation? >> >>There are many reasons to have surgery. Some operations can relieve or >>prevent pain. Others can reduce a symptom of a problem or improve some >>body function. Some surgeries are performed to diagnose a problem. >>Surgery also can save your life. Your surgeon will tell you the purpose >>of the procedure. Make sure you understand how the proposed operation >>fits in with the diagnosis of your medical condition. >> >>Are There Alternatives To Surgery? >> >>Sometimes, surgery is not the only answer to a medical problem. >>Medicines or other nonsurgical treatments, such as a change in diet or >>special exercises, might help you just as well or more. Ask your >>surgeon or primary care doctor about the benefits and risks of these >>other choices. You need to know as much as possible about these >>benefits and risks to make the best decision. >> >>One alternative may be "watchful waiting," in which your doctor and you >>check to see if your problem gets better or worse. If it gets worse, >>you may need surgery right away. If it gets better, you may be able to >>postpone surgery, perhaps indefinitely. >> >>What Are The Benefits Of Having The Operation? >> >>Ask your surgeon what you will gain by having the operation. For >>example, a hip replacement may mean that you can walk again with ease. >> >>Ask how long the benefits are likely to last. For some procedures, it >>is not unusual for the benefits to last for a short time only. There >>might be a need for a second operation at a later date. For other >>procedures, the benefits may last a lifetime. >> >>When finding out about the benefits of the operation, be realistic. >>Sometimes patients expect too much and are disappointed with the >>outcome, or results. Ask your doctor if there is any published >>information about the outcomes of the procedure. >> >>What Are The Risks Of Having The Operation? >> >>All operations carry some risk. This is why you need to weigh the >>benefits of the operation against the risks of complications or side >>effects. >> >>Complications can occur around the time of the operation. Complications >>are unplanned events, such as infection, too much bleeding, reaction to >>anesthesia, or accidental injury. Some people have an increased risk of >>complications because of other medical conditions. >> >>In addition, there may be side effects after the operation. For the >>most part, side effects can be anticipated. For example, your surgeon >>knows that there will be swelling and some soreness at the site of the >>operation. >> >>Ask your surgeon about the possible complications and side effects of >>the operation. There is almost always some pain with surgery. Ask how >>much there will be and what the doctors and nurses will do to reduce the >>pain. Controlling the pain will help you be more comfortable while you >>heal, get well faster, and improve the results of your operation. >> >>What If I Don't Have This Operation? >> >>Based on what you learn about the benefits and risks of the operation, >>you might decide not to have it. Ask your surgeon what you will gain -- >>or lose -- by not having the operation now. Could you be in more pain? >>Could your condition get worse? Could the problem go away? >> >>Where Can I Get A Second Opinion? >> >>Getting a second opinion from another doctor is a very good way to make >>sure having the operation is the best alternative for you. Many health >>insurance plans require patients to get a second opinion before they >>have certain non-emergency operations. If your plan does not require a >>second opinion, you may still ask to have one. Check with your >>insurance company to see if it will pay for a second opinion. If you >>get one, make sure to get your records from the first doctor so that the >>second one does not have to repeat tests. >> >>What Has Been Your Experience In Doing The Operation? >> >>One way to reduce the risks of surgery is to choose a surgeon who has >>been thoroughly trained to do the procedure and has plenty of experience >>doing it. You can ask your surgeon about his or her recent record of >>successes and complications with this procedure. If it is more >>comfortable for you, you can discuss the topic of surgeons' >>qualifications with your regular or primary care doctor. >> >>Where Will The Operation Be Done? >> >>Most surgeons practice at one or two local hospitals. Find out where >>your operation will be performed. Have many of the operations you are >>thinking about having been done in this hospital? Some operations have >>higher success rates if they are done in hospitals that do many of those >>procedures. Ask your doctor about the success rate at this hospital. If >>the hospital has a low success rate for the operation in question, you >>should ask to have it at another hospital. >> >>Until recently, most surgery was performed on an inpatient basis and >>patients stayed in the hospital for one or more days. Today, a lot of >>surgery is done on an outpatient basis in a doctor's office, a special >>surgical center, or a day surgery unit of a hospital. Outpatient >>surgery is less expensive because you do not have to pay for staying in >>a hospital room. >> >>Ask whether your operation will be done in the hospital or in an >>outpatient setting. If your doctor recommends inpatient surgery for a >>procedure that is usually done as outpatient surgery, or just the >>opposite, recommends outpatient surgery that is usually done as >>inpatient surgery, ask why. You want to be in the right place for your >>operation. >> >>What Kind Of Anesthesia Will I Need? >> >>Anesthesia is used so that surgery can be performed without unnecessary >>pain. Your surgeon can tell you whether the operation calls for local, >>regional, or general anesthesia, and why this form of anesthesia is >>recommended for your procedure. >> >>a.. Local anesthesia numbs only a part of your body for a short period >>of time, for example, a tooth and the surrounding gum. Not all >>procedures done with local anesthesia are painless. >> >>a.. Regional anesthesia numbs a larger portion of your body, for >>example, the lower part of your body for a few hours. In most cases, >>you will be awake with regional anesthesia. >> >>a.. General anesthesia numbs your entire body for the entire time of >>the surgery. You will be unconscious if you have general anesthesia. >> >>Anesthesia is quite safe for most patients and is usually administered >>by a specialized physician (anesthesiologist) or nurse anesthetist. Both >>are highly skilled and have been specially trained to give anesthesia. >> >>If you decide to have an operation, ask to meet with the person who will >>give you anesthesia. Find out what his or her qualifications are. Ask >>what the side effects and risks of having anesthesia are in your case. >>Be sure to tell him or her what medical problems you have including >>allergies and any medications you have been taking, since they may >>affect your response to the anesthesia. >> >>How Long Will It Take Me To Recover? >> >>Your surgeon can tell you how you might feel and what you will be able >>to do or not do the first few days, weeks, or months after surgery. Ask >>how long you will be in the hospital. Find out what kind of supplies, >>equipment, and any other help you will need when you go home. Knowing >>what to expect can help you cope better with recovery. >> >>Ask when you can start regular exercise again and go back to work. You >>do not want to do anything that will slow down the recovery process. >>Lifting a 10-pound bag of potatoes may not seem to be "too much" a week >>after your operation, but it could be. You should follow your surgeon's >>advice to make sure you recover fully as soon as possible. >> >>How Much Will The Operation Cost? >> >>Health insurance coverage for surgery can vary, and there may be some >>costs you will have to pay. Before you have the operation, call your >>insurance company to find out how much of these costs it will pay and >>how much you will have to pay yourself. >> >>Ask what your surgeon's fee is and what it covers. Surgical fees often >>also include several visits after the operation. You also will be >>billed by the hospital for inpatient or outpatient care and by the >>anesthesiologist and others providing care related to your operation. >> >>Surgeons' Qualifications >> >>You will want to know that your surgeon is experienced and qualified to >>perform the operation. Many surgeons have taken special training and >>passed exams given by a national board of surgeons. Ask if your surgeon >>is "board certified" in surgery. Some surgeons also have the letters >>F.A.C.S. after their name. This means they are Fellows of the American >>College of Surgeons and have passed another review by surgeons of their >>surgical practices. >> >>Source: "Be Informed: Questions To Ask Your Doctor Before You Have >>Surgery," Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, January 1995. >> >>http://www.healthtouch.com/bin/EContent_HT/showAllLfts.asp?lftname=AHC >>R088&cid=HT >> >>[ NOTE: The Url for this web site is sooo terribly long...so I simply >>cut and pasted the article here so that you could read this excellent >>information. >> >>If you want to go to this web site, you will have to enter the Url onto >>the address-line of your computer monitor ( screen ).] >

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: