Hey Dr! Aren't you overlooking the grand champion cause of adhesions? Surgery of ANY kind!!!

Sat Oct 7 17:44:31 2000

I just came across this in the Archives of one of the forums on the Internet. I thought it VERY INTERESTING that the doctor did not acknowledge that ANY KIND of surgery causes adhesions...and certainly needs to be moved into the NUMBER 1 CAUSE OF ADHESIONS!!!

[] Message from a forum participant:

I have adhesions as a direct result of a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy which I had in 1999. My adhesions are attached to my intestines and diaphragm.

My Ob/Gyn told me that I could not have a vaginal hysterectomy because my uterus had not dropped; and therefore, I would have to have an abdominal hysterectomy...which I definitely did not want - because I had been cut there 3 times previously for endometriosis and 2 c-sections.

Is all of the suffering I am going through, only because she lacked experience in doing vaginal hysterectomies?

[] Response to her message from a doctor:

I consider myself to be a better than average vaginal surgeon, and I perform the great majority (>70%) of my hysterectomies vaginally - either alone or with laparoscopic assistance, if needed. I believe very strongly that the vaginal route is to be preferred. However, even I would not have considered attempting a vaginal hysterectomy on someone with your described surgical history. It would be risky, even if it could have been accomplished at all.

I strongly doubt that your adhesions are just from the hysterectomy for that matter. ENDOMETRIOSIS and C-SECTIONS are 2 of the 3 BIGGEST causes of pelvic and abdominal adhesions - with PELVIC INFECTIONS being the third. It sounds to me as if your doctor chose the prudent and appropriate approach.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: