Re: op reports...long.........................re-posted for Kathy L.

Mon Oct 16 18:43:56 2000

At Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Kathy L. wrote:

Yes, I do understand the report. What I don't understand is how a doctor can decide that adhesions aren't painful. Everything in our abdomen should be free-hanging, meaning the organs can move freely. You are certainly one "stuck" lady(no pun intended). I don't think I have quite as much adhesion involvement as you do. My bladder, bowel, uterus, and pelvic wall are stuck together forming an adhesions "ball" of fluid. Fortunately, I don't have the leg pain you are experiencing. But it's obvious what is causing you this pain.

Of course, I just had another surgery in July and probably have more adhesions at this point. My pain is from the fluid build up and is usually severe rectal pressure and stabbing pain in the right side.

I know you are anxious about surgery and I don't blame you. I think we put all of our faith in the surgery to cure us. And then are disappointed, to say the least, when we don't feel 100%. I am being realistic about my upcoming surgery with Dr. Redan. I just want relief from this intense pain. I have lived with discomfort for over 25 years from chronic appendicitis and the mess that made. Back spasms, bowel problems, etc., but this new and improved version is too much for me.

If you think it would help, I read on the forum where people emailed Dr. Redan to discuss the surgery they were going to have and the surgeons plan of attack, and he was concerned enough to email them back and give his opinion. This could help you make your decision.

Please don't lose faith in finding relief from your pain. I know some days I think it would be easier to just give up. But boy, think of what we would miss if we weren't here! It's nice to know we have support in the forum and we have people who know exactly what we are feeling. Before I found this group, no one in my area knew what I was talking about. It is a terrible disease because pain is subjective and people think, well, she doesn't look too bad, why can't she carry on with her life and ignore it. But we know better!

Take care and keep writing. I'll keep an eye out for your next report.

Kathy L.

At Mon, 16 Oct 2000, toni welsh wrote:

here is the findings on my first surgery in 98.

time of laparoscopy there was extensive intraabdominal pelvic adhesions extending from the umbilicus all the way to the pelvic floor with the bowel and omentum attached to the anterior wall, bladder and right ovary and tube. right ovary & tube itself was adherent to the pelvic sidewall right over the ureter. Omentum, large and small bowelwere adherent to the pelvic sidewall on the left, the bladder, the pelvic floor, the right ovary and tube,the right pelvic sidewall and into the right side of the intraabdominal wall. the ovary and tube on the right side were densely adhered to the pelvic side wall over the ureter and to the bladder and pelvic sidewall. the ovary itself was adhered to onto the psoas muscle which would be giving her the discomfort she was feeling in her right leg and back.

Procedure: patient draped for lap.small incision was made inferior to the umbilicus and trocar was thrust into cavity. trocar was removed andlaparoscope was placed and visualization of the omentum. gas was instilled and adequate pneumoperitoneum, and extensive adhesive disease was noted. Photos were taken, and it was felt we had to proceed with exploratory as we could not determine tissue planes and dissect the ovary off pelvic sidewall. family notified and we proceeded with laparotomy.

old incision which was vertical, was removed all the way to the pubic symhysis. rectus mucsles were identified and diseected free off the rectus muscle all the way down from umbiliocus down to the symphysis.

skipped some...no bowel or bladder involved in in the peritoneal incision and this extended superiorly up to the umbiliocus and all the way down to the bladder as the mostly on the left side, and we found a clear path down in to the lower abdomen. we disseted the omentum, and small and large bowel off the anterior wa;; on the left side all the way down to the pelvic floor dissecting it free from the bladder, low pelvic floor and over the ovary and right pelvic sidewall. Once we were able to free up these adhesions we were able to dissect adhesions between the bowel as well as the colon from the pelvic sidewall recreating normalanatomy. left pelvic side looked to be free from disease except the adhesive disease. and we were able to free up completel the omentum. small and large bowel from all its adhesive points. bladder was not injured and we felt we were able to remove all adhesions at this point. the omentum looked oozy along one edge and did not seem to extend down into the pelvis. omentum was small and we removed about 40 % of the omentum to help prevent further adhesion sformation.at a later time.

we identified the ovary and found it to be 5 to 6 cm across with multiple ovarian cysts felt to be hem in nature. the ovary itself was adhered to the ureterand the psoasa muscle and we were unable to identify tissue planes.decsion was mad at that point because risk of further adhesions formation and the multiple cysts to remove the ovary. patient was well aware of that. she has had problems with cysts in the past, and I feel leaving the ovary would subject her to reccurence adhesive disease, ovarian cysts, and her pelvic pain. the ovary was densely adhered and pelvic side wall and bladder. there was some bleeding points,along right pelvic sidewall and we stayed there for ten minutes with warm wrap in that area.

I will send my second surgery tomorrow, it is more involved than this one. Kath, do you understand thi. I skipped some things I hope were not important I am not fast typer!

Toni

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: