Re: Kathie, Re Bowel Obstruction

Wed Oct 25 17:44:10 2000

My symptoms are intense abdominal pain and cramping, nausea, increased temp, feeling like I need to go to the bathroom but no bowel movements. For me it has usually lasted about 24 hours then gone off as quickly as it came on. I was diagnosed with extensive adhesions after a laporoscope about eight years ago. I had had a C-section six years earlier and had been trying for another baby for three years without success. Apparently, the adhesions were obstructing my fallopian tubes and so I was scheduled for a laporotomy to remove them. They couldn't get the laparoscope in due to the adhesions. I actually never had the laporotomy done as I had to have a hyterosalpingogram done (dye injected along the fallopian tubes to visualise the tubes) and the radiologist managed to clear the obstruction using the dye. At that point I had not had any pain with the adhesions and, but for the fertility problems, would have had no idea that I had adhesions. The abdominal pain started about 4 yaers ago - initially with pain on intercourse, then with the intermittent low pain I described in my earlier post and then, more recently, this intense double you over, wipe you out pain which I have been told is partial obstructions. I was told that if I had these symptoms again I was to get to my doctor asap (not leave it for 24 hours hoping 'it'll go off in a little while'!) as apparently you can dehydrate very quickly with a b/o which can become a medical emergency. My doctor said no more than 8 hours with these symptoms then call out the doctor...

I'm also in the UK.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: