Home from Germany

Sun Dec 3 09:50:23 2000

Welcome Home Robin! So glad all is going well! I cheer as I read the emails coming in from fellow travellers, knowing that each of you is making progress on the road to recovery. We formed an incredible friendship with all who went, and with those who acted as our hosts in Europe. Thank you Elke for being an incredible friend in Duisburg. Many thanks to you, Sylvie, and your family for hosting us on a wonderful weekend journey to Belgium. And Mark, many thanks for making the trip down from Holland to join us. To anyone I missed, and there are many, bless you and thank you for helping us on this incredible adventure.

I just wanted to add a few postscripts on "adhesions", to what others who made the journey have written. I was one who did not show any new or adhesion reformation on second look after 7 days.(My adhesions attached bowel and bladder to abdominal and pelvic wall.) To what can this be attributed? I am guessing DR. Korell's incredible micro-surgical technique (uses primarily state of the art ultra-sound scalpel) NOT laser which can be destructive; the use of prednisone at low dosage levels 3 weeks prior to surgery (to impede an inflammatory response); the use of Intergel (in my case). You may be asking the question "Would this have happened anyway?" My response is that on 2nd and 3rd look after a surgery done in 1997 in the U.S. by Dr. Kresch, my adhesions had increased 120% and 150%, respectively. I am a severe case and never in my wildest dreams expected this kind of diagnosis. After 7 days, the peritoneum was healing well, and that is the 1st time in 35 years.

A larger question is whether I am pain free, at this point. The answer is "NO". However, it is also important to know that due to a scar revision, and a failed attempt in 1997 to fix a defect in the pelvic wall (from an old drainage tube), my left abdominal, and pelvic walls are severely scarred. This is a problem that is not so easily addressed, and this is the area where you can get entrapped nerves, scar tissue that contracts, etc. The only pain I feel comes from this area. Dr. Korell told me immediately when I had my first consultation that I had two problems, and the above I should try to live with for 3 to 6 mos. before making an attempt rectify. If I cannot live with it, I will return to Duisburg. I write all this because it is important to know that laparotomies can cause the above kind of problem, all happening above the periotoneum. The adhesiolysis freed up the tissue under the scarred area but not in the wall itself.

Many thanks fellow travellers for your friendship, your support, and your caring! Best Wishes to all of you for a pain free holiday, and healthy 2001.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: