The Survivor Guide

Sat Dec 23 07:06:06 2000

Dear Groupies

My *goal* in getting all of your communication breakdown experiences is so that I/we (can use all the help I can get) can take a look at a big sample of the kinds of breakdowns that are happening. As I first looked at my own that I listed, I saw some patterns...some distinct types of breakdowns...that I could've/should've been able to "treat." Now, looking back, I have now figured out how I should've/could've kept those dead-end conversations from being...well...dead-ends.

With this little project that I have going in my head, I hope to "diagnose" the communication "disorders" that so often exist between adhesion sufferers and their docs. If we can classify the breakdowns into types (3-4 types, I am thinking), then we can come up with "treatments" for the breakdowns. Then we practice these "treatments" in our heads, and when we see our docs....we are better able to negotiate that rough territory.

I do this sort of formulation of communication repair strategies in my work with people with hearing problems and so this is not unfamiliar territory for me. Also, I do my audiology work in the doctor's office and so I do see the doc's side of some of this. I am not doing this as a doctor bashing exercise at all. We can't control what comes out of someone else's mouth, but we can control and calculate our responses. We have to do better in communicating with them. Looking back, I am really appalled how poorly I did over the years on my own behalf when I was handed the comments that I listed. I *will* do better the future. So keep those comments coming so that I have something with which to work.

Hey...I have the "treatment" for telemarketers down pat, too. I'll add that as an appendix to the Survivor Guide. :)))) Love, Mary

--
Mary Wade

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: