Tue Jan 2 19:26:12 2001

On 2 Jan 2001, at 16:34, Chrissie wrote:

> Hi Everyone and Happy New Year! I know I haven't posted in a while. I've
> missed you all so very much! I've not been feeling very well and also
> had a severe illness to a very close relative that is still in the
> hospital in the ICU. I have finally come to realize that I can't work
> my full-time job any longer.

Chrissie,

I have been on social security disability for the past six years. Actually it was an operation for adhesions that finally convinced me that working was taking too much strength I just didn't have.

I have had cancer -- the cause of adhesions -- and multiple sclerosis. I worked through much cancer treatment, but the last surgery caused more MS problems, and I had just hit the wall.

If you have worked sufficient "quarters" under social security, you will be eligible for SSDI -- social security disability. Call SSA -- Social Security Administration -- and ask them what your benefit will be. They can tell you over the phone. The 800 number is in your phone book.

There is no state difference in SSDI. It is a federal program. You will begin receiving benefits 6 months after the last day you were able to work. There are often short term state disability benefits. These do differ from state to state. In NY, they are very small.

You may also have a long term disability plan at your work. Ask human resources or look at your benefits booklet. One important thing to know up front is that these benefits almost always reduce your monthly check by the amount SSDI pays.

For SSDI you must be unable to work at ANY job -- full or part time -- for which you are qualified by training and experience. So if you can no longer work as a high wire performer but can keep books for the circus, you can't get SSDI.

Key to getting SSDI is having the right doctor on your side. He/she will have to write the letters that convince SSA that you are unable to work. If your doctor doesn't believe you are not able to work, find one who does.

SSA will send you an application form that is very long. Fill it out as completely as you can, emphasizing how your disability interferes with your being able to work. I started at the beginning of the day and thought through every thing that I did on the job and why I couldn't do it anymore -- can't sit at the computer for more than 1/2 an hour, forget the names of clients, cannot speak clearly on the telephone. I even wrote about how difficult it is for me to shower, dress, and drive to work.

SSA doesn't care if you are sick, they care that that illness makes it impossible for you to do your job -- or any job.

There is no need to get a lawyer involved unless you are denied. (Don't worry about that, many people are denied.) Then an experienced SSDI lawyer can help.

After two years of SSDI benefits, you will be eligible for medicare. Until that time, your work COBRA benefits can be extended even beyond the usual 18 month limits.

While you are still working, start keeping a diary of how your illness is interfering with your ability to work.

I found filling out the forms very helpful to me in understanding why I had to stop working. However, I did mourn my old job, and it took quite a while to stop missing the people I worked with and the feeling of being useful. I even missed going out to lunch!

The National MS Society urges people to see if changes or accommodations in the workplace can be made before people stop working. There are many "perks" to working that we forget about. Being home can be lonely. Having to go to work can provide distractions from pain.

Before you make the final decision, consider what your days will be like without your job. Do you have hobbies or volunteer work to fill in your time? Will you see your friends? (Sadly, most of us find that our work friends very quickly go in other directions.) Will you be able to manage financially on considerably less than your current income?

I hope this helps.

Kate

--
Kate Murphy
katemm@mindspring.com

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: