Re: Fw: Adhesion Formation Following Abdominal Surgery

Wed Jan 17 09:49:16 2001

<FontFamily><param>Times New Roman</param><bigger>On 16 Jan 2001, at 19:39, Helen Dynda wrote:

<color><param>FF00,0000,0000</param>This information is from the Genzyme Biosurgery website ( The Url is below.)

<FontFamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Through a process called fibrinolysis, the plasmin then breaks down the fibrin into a substance that is absorbed by the peritoneum. Permanent adhesions form when fibrinolysis does not occur following the formation of the fibrin matrix. In the setting of ischemia or inflammation, plasminogen is not activated and plasmin does not form. Consequently, the fibrin cannot be broken down and a permanent adhesion forms.

<color><param>0000,0000,0000</param>It seems that if inflammation is a factor in the development of adhesions after surgery, the use of an anti-inflammatory such as an NSAID might help. This is what my surgeon suggested several weeks after surgery. Perhaps right after surgery would be better.

Another possibility is the use of steroids. However, since they interfere with healing, they couldn't be used right away.

Ischemia is a reduction in blood supply. The more surgery, the poorer the blood supply to the incision is -- which may be why adhesions seem to form more quickly.

Facing new pain this past week, I am realizing how much a chronic disease this is -- one that must be managed somehow.

Having had MS for a long time and several cancers, I am getting to know chronic disease pretty well. Coping becomes almost a full- time occupation.

Today I will write a little, read, and watch the snow. I will talk to my dog, cuddle my cats.

Much as I hate the sticky, dusty rug in the bedroom, I can't vacuum it. Next week a friend from church will come and help with the housework I can't do, and we'll have time to talk.

I take my anti-inflammatories and my anti-depressants which make it possible for me to manage this coping lifestyle.

Kate<color><param>FF00,0000,0000</param>

<nofill> Kate Murphy katemm@mindspring.com

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: