Re: Barium Enemas, anxious

Sat Jan 27 08:55:21 2001

On 26 Jan 2001, at 20:42, KathFindlay wrote:

> Dear Kate, or anyone who can help.
> I have been quite ill for the last few months and now I am going into
> hospital on Tuesday for 4 days for some test, one of which I believe is a
> barium enema. I have never had any of these tests done before and I am
> getting quite anxious. Please can some one let me know what to expect.

Kath,

A barium enema, while embarrassing, is really not terribly painful (or it wasn't for me). They will dress you in a hospital gown. Take two and use one backward to keep you a bit more comfortable.

You lay on a very cold, very hard table but the technician will arrange pillows under your knees and head to make it easier and you can have a blanket.

Before the procedure you will have taken a laxative and a Fleet enema or whatever has been prescribed as a prep for you. They hang a bag of white barium, insert a tube, and run it very slowly in. It is nowhere as uncomfortable as a regular enema.

If it is, ask to have to run in more slowly.

Before the barium, they'll do a couple of "flat plate" x-rays of your abdomen. As the barium goes in, you'll be asked to turn and the radiologist may press on your abdomen with a lead gloved hand. (This did hurt a bit, but not unbearably.)

You can watch the whole thing on TV if you can get your head lined up right.

I deal with anxiety by deep breathing: I just count breaths in and then again out 1-2-3-4-5-6. Sometimes I use a short prayer instead of the numbers, but numbers are good.

Everytime you start to worry, take a deep breath. No sense in rehearsing possible pain -- that only makes it much, much worse.

Kate

--
Kate Murphy
katemm@mindspring.com

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: