Dr. Redan

Tue Feb 20 13:24:06 2001

First off, I must say that I feel quite out of place after seeing the vast amount of messages from females about problems with adhesions. I can tell you they happen to males just as bad.

I am only 35 years old and have had three laparotomies. One for a colon resection, one for a complete bowel obstruction due to adhesions, and a third for incisional hernia repair. I am in a constant state of unbearable pain. I have been bounced from doctor to doctor, all the while being told that adhesions don't cause pain. I am also finding myself in the ER like every two weeks because the pain/cramping gets so bad that I think I am having another bowel obstruction. Of course the obstruction series always come up "normal" (except for last month, when I did have a partial and spent 2 days with an NG tube).

My current surgeon says that surgery is not an option unless I obstruct completely. I saw in a note to my family doctor that he thinks I am complaining as part of "pain seeking behavior" just to get "unneeded" pain meds. I saw this letter and went through the roof (I am still furious). I sent this surgeon my own letter letting him know what I thought of his "observations". Needless to say I will not be seeing him anymore.

Two weeks ago I went to Johns Hopkins and saw a leading GI surgeon (a REALLY nice guy!) who told me the same thing my previous surgeon told me about staying away from the belly unless a complete obstruction happens again. (In fact, when I asked about laparoscopic adhesiolysis his resident said that that procedure runs an "extremely high" morbidity rate and is strongly discouraged unless one's life is threatened).

I then came upon this site last week and have read with great interest about the Scranton PA practice. I emailed Dr. Redan and he replied immediately (I am still shocked!). I Fed Ex'd my surgical reports and tests to him on Friday (2/16). I then got a phone call from him today to see how I was doing! (Has anyone ever heard of a doctor showing such great initiative with a patient?) After discussing my options, I agreed that I need this adhesiolysis. I live right outside of Philly so I can drive up there to see him.

My only questions are 1)is it worth the huge amount of money I will have to come up with, 2)am I in great danger of incurring life-threatening complications during surgery as I have been told, and 3)has anyone out there been operated on by Dr. Redan who can tell me their, hopefully, success stories.

I hope that anyone who can provide me with viable information upon which I can base this major life decision would respond to this post.

--
JIM

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: