Re: Why is my surgeon giving me such a hard time?

Sun Feb 25 01:58:38 2001

Jean,

Your doctor is a plain jerk.....putting it nicely. If it were me I would find a new doctor or besiege him with all the information available on the internet. Call this surgeon's nurse and find out what procedure they use in your surgery. If they are not using the proper techniques of very careful handling of the bowels, clot evacuation....very tedious, and ringer's lactate being left in the abdomen....then do not allow them to operate. This surgeon just has you in a cycle...if you have surgery performed by a surgeon incapable of correctly lysing your adhesions you will continue to need your doctor's care....money in his pocket.

But most importantly load yourself with all the information available and don't back down. It isn't about the surgeon being able to perform laparscopy....its about what he does with it. If he doesn't do clot evacuation with extreme attention to removing even the smallest speck than you will only end up in the same condition as you are now.....or worse. If you have the opportunity and can afford it take advantage and have Dr. Reich perform the surgery. You will not regret it.

--
Karla

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Jean (from PA)" <creative@enter.net> To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2001 1:56 PM Subject: Re: Why is my surgeon giving me such a hard time?

> At Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Millie wrote: > > > >Jean, > >How did you do with Dr. Redan ? He looked at the scar, annd said it looked > >good. He said it can take 3 months to heal. He said in a few months, he > >could take a look around. I had myself all psyched up, and got the forms > >faxed to the office, and this is what happened. I feel extremely > >disappointed. I can't keep going on like this, but I don't know what else to > >do. I know she ruined me with that unneeded hyst. > >Millie > > Millie, > I made out good with Dr. Redan.....I am scheduled for surgery on March > 29. He said he isn't sure how much of my pains the surgery will help > since I have multiple problems and he doesn't know how much is Adhesion > related. > My only concern is the money. My pre-payment isn't too bad but I just > fear owing much more after the surgery, which I won't know until then. I > just filed income tax so I am waiting to see how I make out with > that.....we have businesses so we never know until about a week later. > I thought they might have difficulty getting in my abdomen due to all > the scar tissue and adhesions. Some of the doctors in the past had > trouble even with a full incision cause of adhesions which they had to > cut in order to get in. > Dr. Redan said he doesn't think they will have trouble getting in cause > "they are good" (haha). > > I recently went to my family doctor to try to get stronger pain pills > when the pain got much worse again. He did give Oxycontin "just to see > me through until my surgery" but I threw them up so I can't take them. I > guess my stomach got even more touchy cause I was on them several months > ago with no problems. > I asked my MD to write a referral paper for Dr. Redan cause even though > I don't need referrals I read on here that it may help prevent insurance > problems. He refused, since he never heard of them. He asked me to see > another local participating surgeon first. I have an appointment with > him on March 8th. I told my MD all about Dr. Redan but he never heard > of him. I also told him they can do it laproscopically and he said so > can this doctor, guess I will find out. He SAYS he is a genius and > removes gallbladders, ovaries, repairs hiatal hernias etc. > laproscopically. I will have to ask allot of questions first. The way > these doctors are he might not even WANT to operate or believe adhesions > cause pain etc. I also don't want to or have time for lots of tests > again so that will be out, and I know they love to do that! I don't even > know if he will be nice and I don't want any more un-caring abusive > doctors. > > In the meantime I did not cancel my surgery with Dr. Redan. > Dr. Redan & Dr. Gerhart were very nice. > I am a little concerned about the bowel-prep though. > JEAN (from PA) > > >

>> >----- Original Message ----- > >From: "Jean (from PA)" <creative@enter.net> > >To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" > ><adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> > >Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 4:54 PM > >Subject: Re: Why is my surgeon giving me such a hard time? > > > >> At Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Millie wrote: > >> > > >> >Dear > >> >janet, > >> >I have been really miserable all day. This morning when I went to move my > >> >bowels, it was like no urge, and then some came out that were about > >little > >> >finger thin. Did you say you ever had any type of bowel obstructions? I > >am > >> >wondering if that's my direction. I am so uncomfortable. My belly hurts > >to > >> >the touch. I have heard of those n.g. tubes, and, my God - I am > >terrified. I > >> >have heard how bad they can be. When do they use it? Only when you vomit, > >or > >> >other times? > >> >I think I'm full of adhesions.Janet, when you saw Dr. Redan and Dr. Reich > >> >for the first time, what did they do? Do they do an exam on you? Do > >they > >> >check your abdomen for swelling? I am so scared of a blockage tonight > >that > >> >it isn't funny. > >> >Millie > >> > >> Millie, > >> I met with Dr. Redan and he didn't do anything hurtful or invasive at > >> all. We just talked and then he looked at my abdomen and felt around > >> it....that's it, nothing to be afraid of at all! > >> JEAN (from PA) > >> > >> >

>> >> >----- Original Message ----- > >> >From: "Janet Karam" <jkaram4@home.com> > >> >To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" > >> ><adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> > >> >Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 5:13 PM > >> >Subject: Re: Why is my surgeon giving me such a hard time? > >> > > >> >> Dear Sue, > >> >> > >> >> I hope the response of others has comforted and helped you, many of us > >> >have > >> >> experienced this rejection. I did myself by my surgeon who preformed my > >> >last > >> >> adhesiolysis over a year ago. I went to his office and was charged $70 > >> >> simply for him to tell me "No", he would only perform that procedure > >once > >> >on > >> >> me. > >> >> > >> >> I think Helen D. and Mary Wade say it best when they say these docs > >have > >> >> probably saved us from another surgery that would make us > >worse...they've > >> >> seen their skilled hands didn't make us better, and they know they will > >> >not > >> >> get better results. > >> >> > >> >> My general surgeon was acclaime one of Denver' best, and every nurse I > >> >came > >> >> in contact with, recommended him highly...does this mean he is > >> >knowledgeable > >> >> in the treatment and prevention of adhesions? No, in my case, he > >snipped > >> >> them, left blood in my abdominal cavity, and only left me to grow more. > >> >> > >> >> I am glad now that he told me "No" last September, I am grateful > >through > >> >> this site that I have found doctors who are specialized in the lysing > >and > >> >> prevention of adhesions. > >> >> > >> >> Still, I remember leaving his office, barely able to hold back the > >tears. > >> >We > >> >> are all so vulnerable, and sometimes so desperate...those days come > >where > >> >> I've felt I just can't take this one more day...but then I keep on, and > >> >look > >> >> to others and find hope. > >> >> > >> >> Love, > >> >> > >> >> Janet > >> >> > >> > >> -- > >> Jean (from PA) > >> > > -- > Jean (from PA) >

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: