Going for surgery with Dr. Redan

Sun Feb 25 08:59:23 2001

First off, a heartfelt THANK YOU to all of you wonderful people who have been most kind in contacting me with info about my plans for adhesiolysis. I can say without a doubt that all of you have been the most kind, compassionate, caring individuals that I have ever come across. My feelings of hopelessness and terror have quickly been replaced by an overwhelming sense of love and hope. I am still scared about letting someone back into my belly, but it seems that Dr. Redan is definitely the way to go.

I can't began to sing his praises enough, even though I have yet to meet him (we'll meet for the first time on March 12th). I thought my last option was when I went to Johns Hopkins three weeks ago to meet a surgeon there. When he told me that surgery was not an option and that there was nothing to do but wait until I obstruct again, I lost it. I spent the two hour drive back to my house in tears. I felt like driving right off of a bridge to bring this terrible ordeal to closure. But something inside me clicked, and I said screw it, I am going to get better and I would do everything within my power to find a doctor who believes that adhesions cause pain and that they are treatable. Well, God pointed me to this website and the last two weeks talking to Dr. Redan (and all of you) have been the most positive that I have had in years.

The stage that I am at now is that we have a tentative date set for April 16th in Manhattan. My insurance company said that I need to send them a letter from the surgeon at Hopkins stating that Dr. Redan is my only option. (He is a nice guy and does believe that I am in crippling pain, so hopefully he'll write it. Keep your fingers crossed!) Then their Review Board will make a ruling. Even if they don't pay for it, I am still going to go for the surgery. I am even more energized now that I just read Dee's most recent post that she just had the surgery and she has marked decrease in her pain. God, I can only imagine! I haven't been pain free in over three years and can only imagine how good Dee feels right now.

Lastly, I want to publicly thank Bev for going above and beyond in her support for me. Why can't everyone in the world be as kind as her? I'll take one Bev over a 1,000 "expert" healthcare "professionals" any day!

Well, I'm rambling. All my best wishes to you folks out there. I'll keep posting here about my experiences leading up to and including the surgery with Dr. Redan so that anyone who is contemplating it will get a good idea of what to expect from my experiences. Also, I had posted a bogus email address in my first posts because I didn't want it out. However, I now consider you all my friends and would welcome any thoughts/ideas/comments that you would send me. My real email address is jlynch@udel.edu.

Good luck, God bless, and way to go Dee!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: