Wed Feb 28 12:22:31 2001

On 27 Feb 2001, at 20:02, Janet Karam wrote:

> Ditto Trace...well said!
>
> Kate you are an inspiration to me as well, and I was thinking of writing you
> a little love letter myself, but I couldn't say it any better than my dear
> friend Trace.

Dear friends,

One of the ways that I deal with my own struggles is to offer some encouragement to other people. Now that I am no longer in the crazy, too many hours a day workforce, I have found time to write and to correspond to others via e-mail.

I really believe we heal ourselves when we reach out with help to others. About eight years ago I hit a personal bottom. I was in the midst of chemotherapy for colon cancer, radiation therapy for breast cancer, and physical therapy for a flare up of MS. My chemo doctor was the coldest fish possible and his office staff reflected his generally nasty attitude.

I spent hours sitting and waiting for tests and treatments in his office. Outside the little treatment rooms where they stuck me to wait, the confusion and disorder was awful. Phones rang, beepers beeped, the intercom called for doctors and nurses over and over. Once in the next room, a woman's IV infiltrated only to be discovered after much calling when her arm had ballooned three times its size.

In general, a mess!

I was furious with this guy. I wanted him to listen to my fears, to provide the calm order that I desperately needed. Sitting at my office desk one day, I just broke down and wept.

But, I am not a very good weeper. I saw that he just wasn't going to provide what I needed -- later I used the expression "Don't try to buy meat from a baker." I called the American Cancer Society who referred me to a patient support group that was meeting that very night.

They were my friends and lifeline for the following five years. Many have died, and I can no longer attend because I can't drive at night, but they made all the difference in the world to my real healing.

When my eyes began to fail and I retired and became more housebound, I began to reach out to others on the Internet. I have found similar friendship and support. My life has been very much enriched.

So I am honored to share what I can with you.

Kate

--
Kate Murphy
katemm@mindspring.com

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: