PERSONALIZING a Pain Scale...

Sun Apr 1 22:32:17 2001

Randall Chronic Pain Scale...PERSONALIZING a Pain Scale:

http://www2.rpa.net/~lrandall/painscale.html

What makes this scale unique is that it allows you to create a personal scale using your own words to describe how your pain feels to you and how well (or not) you are able to function at each of the levels.

After dealing with chronic pain for some years, I realized that I needed a better tool for talking with my doctors: a scale that would describe my perception of pain. I invented a way to describe the intensity of my pain in terms we all understand, and I can easily revise it any time my situation changes

Using the traditional range of 0-10, I added a description and examples that describe what I feel and experience. I gave a copy of this scale to my doctors and they were able to understand what I hadn't been able to get across to them before. Because of this simple change in communication, they are now able to help me manage my pain better than ever before.

Here are examples of my own pain scales from 1996-98. When I say my pain is a "4" or an "8", my healthcare providers have a clearer understanding of what it is I am experiencing at any given time.

[ NOTE: ALL OF THE INFORMATION BELOW CAN BE ACCESSED AT THE ABOVE EBSITE: ]

I was able to modify my pain scale after having my treatment reviewed and changed [see scale Example 2 below.]

Tips on personalizing the pain scale to describe your own unique pain situation.

Patient Form for personalizing the Randall Chronic Pain Scale

Printable Form Page 1.

Printable Form Page 2.

Printable Form Page 3.

Example One. Example Two.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: