Re: Kel & Kelly (laproscopy versus laparotomy)

Tue Apr 3 00:15:51 2001

Kelly & Kel, I also respect my doctor for being honest and telling me that he will do my surgery laproscopically "if" it doesn't endanger me at all. He is well know in my area for his laproscopic procedures. I don't want him to prove anything to me as far as if he can do it laproscopically or not, just do the best job he can with the best method for my situation. I have been told by many people and doctors in my area that if it can be done laproscopically he would be the one who could do it.

I did have an incision which burst open with infection in the past (not adhesion related) and since it took 3 months to close up on it's own from the inside-out I know the scar tissue is extremely deep and thick. He said when you have had allot of abdominal surgeries in the past sometimes it is safer doing a laparotomy due to extreme scar tissue and excessive adhesions. I definitely don't want a colostomy or anything like that and I made that VERY clear to him so I trust his judgement......no heroics!! If he feels there is any risk of perforating anything, not having proper access and/or visibility to something etc. he may have to change to a laparotomy instead. The surgeons in the past did have difficulty getting in due to excessive adhesions and scar tissue and my bowels etc. were involved three times that I know of, 2 times with partial obstructions.

If it makes you feel better I lasted 12 years after my last "open method laparotomy" for adhesions, so everyone is different. Unfortunately that doctor (GYN) retired last year and he was a wonderful compassionate doctor. Many of his patients cried when he retired. I had referred allot of people with GYN problems to him and he helped them all.

This new surgeon is also very nice so I will have to see how his surgery goes as well. At this point I just want to walk again instead of sitting all the time for the past year!!!

Good luck with your surgeries! JEAN

"A true friend walks in when the rest of the world walks out."

>----- Original Message -----
From: "Wally" <wallamara@hotmail.com> To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 8:14 PM Subject: Re: laparoscopy or laparotomy????

Hi Kelly!

Boy do I know what you mean about doubts! I have been asking similar questions my self for weeks. Then I made my decision to have the surgery and was very relaxed and calm about it all. Then I started thinking about it again, and reading the messages here.......

I am fortunate to have a group of Aussie girls from the board who I talk to almost daily. They have been such a wonderful help.

As they said to me...I have done all the research, I have several opinions, but most importantly I am happy and feel safe with my choice of doctor..... Listen to your heart, you will know if it is right or not.

To be opened up or to have a laperoscopy was a big question for me too. I trust my surgeon, he says there are too many adhesions, and it would be too dangerous to do it laperoscoply. EACH OF US IS DIFFERENT, WITH A DIFFERENT SET OF CIRCUMSTANCES, A UNIQUE SET OF MEDICAL PROBLEMS, only YOU and YOUR doctor can decide which course of action is best for you!

So Kelly next Monday I will have what my surgeon & I hope will be my last surgery.....you are in my thoughts and prayers, when it comes down to it, we each have to make a choice, a decision. WE ALL KNOW what a hard decision it is to make!

(((((Kelly))))

Cheers & hugs, Jo

At Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Kelly Doucet wrote: >
>I keep having all these doubts about my upcoming surgery, and to add to
>them is my mother in law who said she spoke with a DR and they said the
>best way to permantly remove adhesions was to open you up. Now I have
>had numerous Drs tell me the opposite, but, seeing as I have had 5
>laparoscipies (sp?)
>and still pain, I have to wonder....
>The only time I hade a lengthy pain free period was after abdominal
>surgery.
>Any opinions? Advice?
>Thanks
>KellyD

--
You will never never know.......if you don't give it a go :)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: