Re: there is a relationship between urge incontience and ARD

Fri Apr 13 21:34:40 2001

Dear Jean,

My problems are slightly different from yours, though my Urologist also had me on Ditropan for the spasms, I found this to help some, but the side effects that I experienced far out weighed the incontinence problem. They can do a Urodynamic's test on bladder function, this can determine how much the bladder will hold, if it's continually spasming and if the urine is under pressure ( being back washed into the kidneys) this was my problem, my urine was going back to the kidneys, and this can lead to kidney damage. If you have Stress incontinence they usually do a sling procedure, to try and tighten the muscles holding the bladder. Urge Incontinence is when you have the feeling that you need to go continually but you can't get there on time, you may wet the bed, you constantly feel the need to go but only small amounts are produced and you have pain from the continual spasms. It's a lot harder apparently to fix Urge Incontinence than stress incontinence and if your bladder shrinks as mine has then you start having big problems with control. Before the surgery my bladder would let go even if I just stood up or walked, and I would get a full body shudder, this is the bladder contracting as the uterus does during labour, when I got the body shudder I knew that I was going to let go, but I had no control at all over this (I'm only 36). Apparently the shudder is caused by nerve damage, and the brain gets the wrong signals and releases when you don't even need to go. My surgery was to cut the nerves and stop the wrong signals going to the brain. This is where the Ditropan helps, it stops the wrong signals from being sent, basically a nerve control pill, so if it worked for you, and you had no side effects from it, it can't help but to go back on it. Hope this has helped some, and may you have dry days ahead!!!

Love Helen G

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: