Re: Trip to PA

Mon Apr 16 22:00:17 2001

At Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Shannon wrote: >
>Dear Shannon:

I went to Scranton for surgery in November and it was a great success! I had to wait 3 months after a surgery I had at my local hospital that was unsuccessful because the doctor basically opened me up and was overwhelmed and closed me again. Dr. Redan said it would be risky to operate too soon before I healed from that surgery. Anyway, to keep myself from going nuts I got some meditation tapes and guided imagery tapes from my local library and from a local hospital wellness center(free to borrow). I tried to do relaxation techniques and visualize that everything would go well. It was hard to do because it is natural to be nervous, but I truly believe that it helped me. If you can handle the position, I also got a massage the day before we left. Most massage therapists will let you sit if necessary. I was in the holding room longer than expected because an operating room wasn't ready and normally I would have been very nervous, but I was able to listen to my walkman (I got some soothing music on CD's beforehand and it really helped!)

Attitude makes a big difference. My thoughts were that I couldn't go on with the pain anymore and I owed to myself to try this. I felt that if I could be even 75% better it was worth it. So far I am at 100%.

Suggestions of things to take: I don't know how far you have to travel, we had a 6 hour drive. Angel Flight was willing to fly us for free but a big snow storm messed that up. Anyway, I took loose fitting clothing because you need to be comfortable traveling. After the surgery your belly may be a little bloated from fluid and a loose waistband is important. I also took those prepackaged jellos, tea, boullion cubes, juice, etc. Because you need to be on liquids for the prep. I also took a favorite mug and spoon (I'm weird that way). My heating pad went everywhere with me so that came along for the ride. The hotel rooms have a microwave and refridgerator. I also brought pillows for the ride (Chrissie and Pam gave that great suggestion).

Sorry to bombard you with all of this. I am sure others who have gone through this will have great suggestions. Remember, stay positive and take time for yourself to prepare mentally for this. Please let us know how you are doing.

Take care,

--
Kathy L.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: