What a Group are We!

Tue May 8 12:05:10 2001

Dear Friends:

Wow! In the 2 weeks since I accidentally found this site, heard from a core group of people including Dr. Wiseman and became the Pennsylvania contact person for IAS I feel like I have been born again! Thanks to Janet, Tammi, Bev, Helen, Guss, Kath Findlay and a fistful of others I have a 4 inch stack of printed information, personal stories and pretty frightening experiences to use to write my article that I am hoping will educate physicians about ARD,the need for pain relieving drugs and dispelling the theory that "adhesions don't cause pain."

I signed onto this message board like a timid little fluff, (well, more like a timid little ball of goop) offering parts of my story and bits of my soul to total strangers. I expected nothing in return. I got tons of support, cheerful, upbeat letters and a bunch of prayers and positive energy. What really flips my flapjacks is the way all of these people who are in pain and who have lost careers and quality of life and in some cases, even their spouses/mates because of the strain on the relationship are so willing to make me feel better and to offer me advice and support! You want to know what else? They've given me the impetus to offer MY support and MY help to new members and people in despair with no idea where to go for information and assistance! What a gift.

I get to work in the morning, my gut is screaming despite the MS Contin. I am cranky and irritable. I log on to my e-mail and there are half a dozen "smiling" letters from my new friends, all offering me silly little quips and wishes for a happy, pain free day. I am able to lose myself in responding to them and I feel for the first time since I acquired this crappy disease that I am not alone! How am I going to spend my "pain time" from now on? Well certainly not feeling sorry for myslef! I plan to organize a support group with the help of the IAS and my Pain Management doctors, both in e-mail and at some point, meeting in person. I am currently collecting data to write an article (with my Pain Management doctors supporting me and submitting it for me to various medical journals) on ARD, pain and misconceptions. (entitled "Toxic Doctors") I will finally finish my non fiction account of chronic, intractable pain called "The Fifth Vital Sign" (can you tell I am a writer?) and I will devour absolutely every bit of information and every personal story and respond to everyone. (Good medicine is more than pills and shots!)

Thank you every one for giving me such a psychological lift. For your gentle, warm hearts and your generous sharing of data and personal trials. For your faithful, daily letters. And for "sticking... with me." (ha ha ha....)

All my love to all my new friends

--
ginny halpern

--
Ginny H.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: