There is a little bit of truth when some doctors tell their patient: It's all in your head"...

Fri May 11 16:34:48 2001

There is a little bit of truth when some doctors tell their patients: "It's All in your head." Unfortunately, all patients tend to take those words in the wrong way; because we immediately interpret those words to mean that we are mentally ill.

I'm not sure doctors really understand how harmful the words, "It's all in your head", can be for their patients...unless doctors actually TAKE THE TIME to explain the concept of the Mind-Body Connection to their patients. Unfortunately, very few doctor WILL TAKE the time or HAVE the time to explain the Mind-Body Connection to their chronic pain patients; and this is where the problem is!!

What do I mean when I say "there is a little bit of truth when some doctors tell their patients "It's all in your head"?? Are you aware that the human brain contains its own natural morphine, known as endorphins? When a person is NOT under stress, the endorphins can function properly; but when a person is under stress -- especially the continued stress of unrelenting, debilitating pain -- the endorphins become depleted. What is more stressful than a life of unrelenting, debilitating pain -- caused by adhesions that tether abdominal/pelvic organs together? These internal organs need to be separate in order to function as they are meant to function.

I first learned of the Mind-Body-Connection in September 1976. For almost 7 years I had suffered with chronic debilitating pain following a laparotomy in 1970. Pain medication was NEVER prescribed for me; and I was NEVER diagnosed as having adhesions!!I In September 1976 I finally found a doctor, who TOOK THE TIME to explain the Mind-Body-Connection to me!! THIS DOCTOR recognized that I was suffering from a clinical depression; so he initially prescribed 10 mgs of Amitriptyline for me. Gradually over several weeks' time, he increased the strength of the Amitriptyline until this drug was at a level that was therapeutic for me. For the VERY FIRST TIME in almost 7 years, I began to notice a decrease in my pain leve; and I was finally beginning to sleep through the night -- an impossibility previously -- without being awakened because of horrific pain. I was by no means pain-free -- but my pain level was brought down to a much more manageable level -- from about a 9 to a 6 or 7 ( based on a scale of 1-10 ). For a more indepth account of this part of my story, I have posted it on the ADHESIONS QUILT.

ONE CARING DOCTOR CAN MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD!!

THIS WAS NOT THE END OF MY SEARCH FOR THE CAUSE OF MY CHRONIC PAIN!!

IT TOOK ME TWENTY-SEVEN ( 27 ) YEARS BEFORE I WAS DIAGNOSED AS HAVING ADHESIONS!!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: