Re: Dissapointed with this site leaving for good!!!

Thu May 17 16:45:59 2001

It hurts to see people frustrated and disappointed. :( I'm so sorry you feel that way, Colette, and others too whose frustration has driven them to leave.

>From my experience on other lists, some of which are hobby groups or other
health-related ones (hyster sisters et al), I have noticed there are always the "regular" posters. People who post often enough that they and others know their names, a little about them and other things in their life. These people are familiar with each other, warm and friendly.

When someone starts posting as a newbie (new subscriber), it takes a little time for people to get accustomed to them...that doesn't mean the posts aren't being read or that a click is excluding someone, I don't think.

If people are given a chance, and newbies are patient, I think they can easily become part of the "regular" group. Don't give up so quickly...what we say on another list, you can't make a difference from the outside. You can start your own board but wouldn't one strong group that has the visibility to reach a lot of people be more effective in the long run, more so than several smaller ones? Food for thought.

Whatever the case, persevere if you want to affect positive changes...momentum is easier to gather from a crawl than from a standstill.

On the other hand, maybe the regular posters could make newbies feel more welcome...I haven't been over here very long, so am not making a judgement -- for all I know, there is a system in place to welcome new people. Do the regular posters offer even a brief "welcome to the site" message to newbies? Sometimes that is all it takes when you see a new e-mail address...a generic, "Welcome to the site, we care" message sent to someone can make their whole day.

I recognize how busy, exhausted and crazy with pain many of us are so do not want to add to anyone's daily load by bringing this up. In the short time I have been over here I've heard a few people get upset that they weren't responded to, or that they were responded to in a manner different than what they expected. The written word is difficult, e-mail especially, because the tone of voice and facial expression are absent. People sometimes take things the wrong way, especially when we might be a little more sensitive emotionally because we are in physical pain. That happens to me...when I hurt, the emotional trigger becomes soooo easy to set off. Sometimes I take things wrong, or say them the wrong way. My intentions always are good, and I suspect those of others here are, as well.

A few kind words and a little common courtesy go a long way towards creating good will.

I know from my own experience, sometimes I am in too much pain to sit very long at the computer. When people e-mail me, I always try to respond within a few days but sometimes it takes a while longer. And if I see a post on the list, I might want to respond but find that I don't have the energy or time at that particular moment.

Here I go, being bad at lurking again. Just thought I'd toss some thoughts out there. Mostly, let's try to believe the best about people...we all are here because we hurt, true, BUT more importantly, because we really do care.

Hoping you all are having a splendid day!

Love,

Lynda M. in AZ

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: