Re: Some advice Please...for Connie about adhesion barriers

Tue May 22 08:29:05 2001

Dear Connie,

In your message you said: "When I had asked him about using an adhesion barrier he told me that he only use them with the ovary, and not on the omentum. Does anyone know about that? Is not an adhesion and adhesion no matter where it is and it still causes pain?"

The FDA has approved Interceed and Seprafilm for open abdominal procedures ONLY!! If you were to have a laparotomy, then it may be possible that your surgeon could apply one of these barriers at the conclusion of your surgery.

There are a few surgeons, who have learned how to apply Interceed laparoscopically with the use of a special applicator; but this is NOT a FDA approved procedure!!

Unfortunately, neither adhesion barrier is as successful as once thought. In fact, the best surgeons, based on their experience with the adhesion barriers, have made a decision to NOT use either of these barriers!!

~ ~ ~ ~

Tonight I have posted information about adhesion barriers on the Message Board. This information is intended to be read by Clinicians or Surgeons. Perhaps, as a result of reading this information, you will have a better understanding as to what conditions are necessary in order for the surgeon to apply an adhesion barrier.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: