Hi Toni/belief in recovery

Thu Jun 7 11:48:19 2001

Hi Toni --

<< I am sorry I rambled on having TERRIBLE day today! The only optionI have from my gyn is to see general surgeon, and STILL they say things COULD get worse!! >>

Please don't be sorry for rambling on...we want to hear it, and hope you feel a little better after venting.

We all know things can get worse, and when in a lot of pain, as you seem to be right now, that is the easiest thing to latch on to. Remember though, there also is a flip side...things also can get better. There is no way to predict what really will happen.

I have decided to expect things to get better. If I "believe" in my heart that they will get better, my mood improves and then I really do feel a little better, physically, too. I've only started doing this within the past few days...I call it donning my "Pollyanna suit." The power of the mind is an awesome thing. I'm going to do my best to unleash it. It isn't easy, but what do I have to lose? Nothing, except the pain.

The worst thing that can happen is I will hurt tomorrow. I'm not worrying about that today -- have made a deliberate, conscious effort not to.

There is a study mentioned in Tony Robbin's book, Awaken the Giant Within. I'll have to look up the name of the doctor who conducted it. It has a large group of people who were split into two groups. One group was given uppers, the other downers. Here's the catch -- the group who took the uppers were told they were given downers, and the group that took downers really were given uppers. The people did not know the drugs had been switched. When the effects of the drugs were measured in terms of how individuals felt, those who took what they thought were uppers were energetic, wide-awake and happy. Those who thought they took downers were sleepy, sluggish and mentally dull. Hmmm....!

Ah, here is the name of the man... Dr. Henry Beecher. At the conclusion of the study, he said, a drug's usefulness "is a direct result of not only the chemical properties of the drug, but also the patient's belief in the usefulness and effectiveness of the drug." Then there is a quote by Norman Cousins: "Drugs are not always necessary, [but] belief in recovery always is."

That's what I'm trying to do...believe in recovery, no matter what. Miracles happen every day! And you know what, I really and truly do feel a little less pain since I have put on my Pollyanna suit. :)

Hope your day gets better for you today, that the pain is less and things go more smoothly for you. Good luck --

Love,

Lynda M. in AZ

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment." -Marcus Aurelius

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: