Re: Worsening left side pain, etc.

Thu Jun 14 20:16:18 2001

Hi Millie

I am going to answer your question about an NG (nasogastric) tube and address this letter in one swoop.

Nasogastric tubes are pliable, plastic tubes about as big around as a thin drinking straw. The end of the tube is inserted into a cup of ice to make it easier to guide by stiffening it a little. . The tip is then lubricated with KY Jelly. The doctor or nurse will gently guide the tube through one nostril and ask the patient to swallow as the tube makes it's way down through the throat into the stomach. Each swallow helps the muscles push the tube downward. Once the tube is in the stomach, the inserter will make sure of proper placement by listening to the belly as they pump a tiny bit of air or water into the endof the tube. Once it's is certain that placement is accurate, the tube is taped to the bridge of the nose to prevent it from getting pulled out. Most always the outer end is hooked up to a suction device and continuous gentle suction is applied to keep the drainage flowing.

An NG tube is ONLY used for speific reasons. It isn't a regular practice to insert one during an ER visit. f a patient is obstructed and bowel contents cannot pass through the rectum, the NG tube is used to suction out the fecal matter that backs up into the stomach. To empty the contents of the stomach continuously as in a post op situation where the bowels are not to be stimulated, or to prevent vomiting due to disease or ingestion of a caustic substance or poison. 2. To act as a feeding tube for hyperalimentation (nasogastric feeding can be done to supply nourishment short term or a gastrostomy for long term.)

Where ARD is concerned, I cannot think of any logical reason for any patient to be concerned with having an NG tube unless the adhesions have obstructed the bowel and the bowel cannot empty freely. This does not include a stricture or narrowing of a segment of the bowel from adhesions, where partial passage of fecal matter is still possible. This is for 100% blockage. NO Gas, no feces, no nothing is passed through the rectum, for 24 hrs or more.

As per your concern about being sedated before the NG tube is inserted, most generally, they don't do that. I have had an NG tube on 5 different admissions and it was a bit uncomfortable for about 2 minutes and then I was fine. You are not offered narcotics or other pain meds either. Once the tube is taped in place, if your throat becomes scratchy the nurses can give you a lidocaine spray to numb the throat. Nothing worse than a sore throat from a cold.

As I told you before, you will never have an NG tube inserted unless you are obstructed (referring to ARD symptoms here) and obstructions are more uncomfortable than the NG tube itself, so please try not to dwell on the possibility of an NG tube.

Millie, as long as you are passing ANYTHING semi formed or fecal material of any sort, even loose or liquid you are not obstructed. You may have a change in the shape, texture, length, width or color of your stool but if there is stool moving through the rectum you are not obstructed. I agree with all of the doctors who have said that you need to have a good bowel regimen. This is to prevent you from becoming impacted and then obstructed. It's also good to follow just for general health and comfort.

I am so sorry you continue to suffer from bowel complaints and pain and that you are terrified of having to have an NG tube. Please try not to worry about these things unless you actually need to. Believe me Millie, IF, Lord forbid, you ever needed an NG tube inserted, I can assure you that the reason you need it would be far more uncomfortable than the insertion of the tube itself. Just try not to think these thoughts. You'll be ok. We're all here to help each other.

Lovingly

ginny

At Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Millie wrote: >
>Hi, Lynda,
>Enough is more than enough with all of this, is right. All these xrays and
>the CAT scan I had on Sunday, and supposedly they didn't show anything bad.
>But I get worse. Lynda... what that woman did to me... I just can't handle
>it,anymore. It feels as if everything is glued together, affecting bladder &
>bowels. I'm sitting here and looking at 2 of Ed's & my honeymoon photos.
>Lynda, I'll never be like that again. That woman has ruined my body and my
>life. I have the right ovary, only. Everything else is gone. Even my
>sanity.
>Thank you for your prayers and pain-free hugs, and the good thoughts.
>Love,
>Millie
>

>>>----- Original Message -----
>From: <Lgapmon@aol.com>
>To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS"
><adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com>
>Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 2:51 PM
>Subject: Re: Worsening left side pain, etc.
>
>> Hi Millie --
>>
>> I wish you were feeling better already! Enough is enough, isn't it.
>>
>> If I were you, I wouldn't worry...I would monitor the situation and maybe
>> contact the doctor. Tell him what is going on and see what he says.
>Don't
>> worry, though...*act* instead. :)
>>
>> Do you have your ovaries still? When I am ovulating my pain is always
>worse.
>> When my bowels back up, the pain is worse, too. Walking helps with the
>> bowels and the pain. You've been doing so much to get your bowels moving,
>> maybe things are about to happen for you. After being constipated a long
>> time, going to the bathroom always hurts me.
>>
>> Sending cozy pain-free hugs your way, and lots of prayers and good
>thoughts...
>>
>> Love,
>>
>> Lynda M. in AZ
>>
>> "We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With
>our
>> thoughts, we make our world."
>> - The Buddha