Re: adhesion pain in the ER: a nurse's opinion

Tue Jun 19 17:41:50 2001

I have an idea why this person remained anonymous. It is easy to criticize when one can hide in anonymity. Then there is no fear of having to take responsibility for what one says. I.e., discuss things with us. Anyone can point fingers and pass judgement, but it takes an intelligent human being to participate in a healthy discussion. If this person truly wanted us to "see" their side of things, they would not hide in anonymity. Methinks they just want to point fingers and pass judgement. We shall see.

However, those of us who are accused of being drug addicts, whose pain is in our heads, who are indeed "perspiring, crying, vomiting, bloated, and acting like we are acutely ill," freely sign our names. Guess the perspiration doesn't show much on my emoticons. :)

If I were a narcotics seeker would I really post my name and address all over the internet? Much easier to hire a sky-writer who can save the police some effort by writing over my house, "DRUG SEEKER BELOW." Besides, if I were a drug seeker, there are far easier ways to obtain drugs than going in to the ER. For crying out loud, kids are selling things like heroine in the high schools.

Last time I went into the ER, I had to wait for three hours before I was seen. The attending nurse was about as kind as I imagine this anonymous poster to be. Lying on a cold, hard, metal table with only a sheet to cover me. Nauseous, shivering, in pain. I have no experience buying illegal drugs but suspect it takes less time to get in to see a drug dealer, and that one could wait in a lot more comfort.

You know, I don't go to the ER any more because when I am in a big flare-up of pain, I honestly don't feel good enough to go there. Who wants to lay on a little cold hard metal table for three hours when you are vomiting and doubled over? Besides, my pain flare-ups trigger my asthma and IBS so I bet the doctors would have a jolly time trying to figure out which end to treat first. Good thing I don't "bother" them by taking up "valuable" space, I suppose.

How many people here, on this board, have you treated? You say, "many of you refuse tests." How do you know? Those of us who have had any tests, they and their results are on file. Is it not possible for you all in the ER to look it up and see that a bazillion tests have been run? Or do you just like running new ones.

In my case, the ER almost always calls my doctor's office and they talk about what should happen next. My doctor's office always has someone on call. And if there is some test that has not been run that *needs* to be run, why would I turn it down? If I am in the ER it is because I want help. Certainly I would not blindly accept any test or medication, for that matter, without trying to understand what it was for and how it would affect me. That is any patient's right, to participate and be pro-active in their care.

To that end, how dare you insinuate that because we might ask for something to help with the pain while we are waiting, that we need therapy? Patient's have rights, in spite of the fact you apparently dislike the notion.

G-d help you if you ever become sick. Maybe Chrissie is right and you are burned out. If that is the case, please do us all a favor and change jobs. No one here chose to be in constant, excruciating pain. But you can choose your career. Please choose something else. Best of luck to you and may you never, ever develop adhesions. If you did, you would realize how ridiculous you sound, for they do indeed hurt. Unless you have had them, you cannot know what they feel like.

Lynda M. in AZ

"We will either find a way, or make one." -Hannibal

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: