Pain Management to Lesa from Sally

Thu Jul 19 23:27:09 2001

Dear Lesa, I have had four surgeries for adhesions.This last surgery they were wrapped around my intestines, though the major pain was a column stretching from my first hysterectomy "bikini cut" to my liver and intestines. The column was massive and filled with tissue, nerves, blood, etc. I have the video of my last operation. I have been in pain for years. The last year was agony. My doctor, who is a very nice man, was of course concerned about opiate use, but he also knows that the State of California mandates that physicians now give adequate pain relief as part of their treatment. He also came to realize that I am not a dope addict and that as soon as I am pain free, I will be more that happy to stop taking medication. It gives me a feeling that I am not in control of my life and also makes me a little nauseous. However, having said that I am on Oxycontin, which is supposed to last for 6 hours, but does not. He gives me Roxicodone,( generic) for breakthrough pain. I am able to function with the medication. Without the medication I lay in bed and writhe in pain. I moan in my sleep if I can sleep. My husband taped me because he wanted to prove I was snoring, but in fact I was moaning in pain. There is a great deal of scientific evidence that people who take opiates for pain relief do not become addicts. People who are not in pain and take it for other reasons do become addicts. The literature on it is fascinating. I do know that I do not feel high. I am a busy, productive person. Please see my web page at http://www.howardcreekranch.com We own and manage an Inn and a ranch on the northern Mendocino Coast. I firmly believe that adequate pain medication helps you heal and being in pain does no good at all. I long for the day when I will be pain free and pill free, but I have no intention of stopping my medication and living in agony over some misplaced, misguided, and out of date philosophies. I also think that most doctors and the public at large do not realize how painful adhesions can be. If the doctors had a kidney stone, they would seek treatment and not feel guilty or morally wrong for taking morphine. They need it at the particular time. Well, unfortunately, adhesions can be long term. If that means long term medication usage, that will have to be the case. I've prayed to God and my church is praying for me to get better. Until then, I will use medication, and work and try to fulfill God's plan for me. I do a lot in the community in addition to our business. God Bless you and help you through this difficult time of pain and sorrow. With kindest regards, Sally Grigg 707-964-6725

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: