Postsurgical Adhesions and Chronic Pain...Part 1

Sat Sep 15 16:05:51 2001

I am not a medical professional so it is not my purpose to make a diagnosis. I have done considerable research on adhesion-related disorder (ARD); and, as a result of all of the information I've found, I decided to share this information with others, who are also afflicted with adhesions.

If you - or someone special in your life - suffer from adhesions, it is very important to learn as much as you can about adhesion-related disorder...a disorder which is sooo poorly understood by the medical profession. There are too many doctors, who do not believe - or won't admit - that adhesions can cause pain!!

With the knowledge, which you will have gained by learning about Adhesions Related Disorder, you will be able to recognize if your doctor has the same understanding about ARD as you do. If he/she doesn't, then it is time for you to look for a doctor who does admit that adhesions can cause pain!!

After the many disappointing experiences I've had with so many doctors - after so many invasive, unnecessary tests through the years - plus the ignorance of myself as a health consumer, I decided that I needed to learn as much as I could about adhesions. When I realized how much information I had found, I knew I had to share this information with others.

You will learn that there are two adhesion barriers, which have been approved by the FDA for use in open abdominal surgery (laparotomy): Interceed and Seprafilm. Only an informed surgical patient would know that these adhesion barriers are available. A surgeon, who isn't aware of adhesion barriers, will NOT have the skill and experience, which are needed to apply adhesion barriers correctly.

The purpose of an adhesion barrier is to help minimize the formation of adhesions, which start forming immediately after the conclusion of surgical procedure. It's our body's attempt to heal itself that causes adhesions to form.

Unfortunately, neither Seprafilm nor Interceed are 100% effective. Each barrier has its own problems. SEPRAFILM - is difficult for the surgeon to use; because, when Seprafilm becomes moistened, it becomes sticky and very difficult for the surgeon to apply.

INTERCEED - will not be effective, if there is any blood left in the abdominal/pelvic cavity. Consequently, many of the best surgeons have made a decision to NOT use these either of these adhesion barriers!!

INTERGEL - is a gel-adhesion barrier, which continues to be in clinical trials. Intergel has not been approved by the FDA. However, Intergel is being used in surgical procedures in Canada, Europe, Japan, the Middle East, and South Africa. Just knowing this, gives a person a sense of HOPE!!

I have tried to include the most important information about adhesions on the following list of websites. By reading each of these websites, you will have completed a mini-course - about adhesion-related concerns. Education is the first step!!

Knowledge gives you strength.

Knowledge gives you courage.

Without courage there can be no progress.

Without progress there is no solution.

~ ~ ~ ~

* What you don't know can hurt you: Knowledge Is Power in a Doctor / Patient Relationship

http://www.obgyn.net/women/articles/comfort/comfort006.htm

~ ~ ~ ~

* Take Charge: The Five Cardinal Steps

http://www.epler.com/s_steps.html

~ ~ ~ ~

* The Extraordinary Story of Dr. Roberts

http://www.epler.com/s_epsd1.html

~ ~ ~ ~

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: