Re: Breathe! - thanks Helen

Mon Oct 1 01:43:17 2001

Its amazing Helen!

You always manage to find an interesting article to back up an idea one of us has on how to deal with pain. This latest one on breathing is great, and I will try it after I have finished answering emails etc this afternoon.

I have lived with pain my whole life, and as I have mentioned before, it has increased with time & subsequent surgeries.

I have read many books, asked questions, listened & watched T.V. programs etc to find new ideas and ways to deal with chronic pain. Most of what I use comes from instinct, trying things I have heard or read about and by experimenting. The first time I looked at breathing exercises as a separate "treatment" was after watching an episode of Oprah. A doctor was using a controlled breathing exercise to help people overcome panic attacks and or severe pain.

This exercise used a method of a controlled & timed set of breaths. By breathing in slowly & deeply through the nose, you count to 10, when you get there, you then need to hold the breath for another count of 10, the slowly breath out through the mouth, while again counting to 10. Personally, I have found 5 to 6 of these timed breaths has helped to calm me, and have more control of coping with a severe attack of pain.

If anyone one has another "breathing exercise" that they find helpful, I would love to hear it! My goal is to reduce my need for narcotic pain medication as much as possible. So please don't be shy…..share your experience with the rest of us.

Thanks again Helen, as always you are a font of information.

Love, hugs & cheers,

Jo

--
Positive Affirmation

Say this with your hands above your head (victory style) and repeat three times: I'm Alive I'm Alert I'm a LOT of fun!!

That should get you smiling!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: