Jo- Pain Pills problem- from Jean!!

Mon Oct 8 17:03:34 2001

Jo, No, I don't think I have ever tried Perthadine, never heard of it. I am going to mention anti-nausea pills to the pain doctor when I go back on the 22nd.

I will also discuss the patch, injections or morphine pump. They say these shouldn't affect me since they don't go through your digestive system but I don't know since I never tried them. I was ok with the Morphine Pump in the hospital after my hip surgeries, a bit out of my head though! I am ok with injections but when they switch me to pills which go through my digestive system I can't tolerate them.

When the doctor found out I couldn't take the Oxycontin before the Discogram test today he had the nurse give me a shot of Morphine.

The test is very painful but they kept raving about how well I was handling it. I think I only moaned a little 2 times. I am not one who normally cries or screams though.

This one did have me very scared when others told me how terrible the pain is with it, rating it a #10 and saying they were practically jumping off the table in pain etc. They said I did extremely well with it. The nurse even said this is the most painful test they do but they would try to help me. The one nurse was terrific at trying to keep your mind off of it they entire time the doctor did it. Sometimes it was a bit difficult answering her though.

They were all wonderful and very caring, not use to that! I think they were sticking needles in and moving them around in my back for 1/2 hour.

They do give you a minute break after they have all 4 needles inserted into different disks before manipulating them and shooting dye in each one individually at different levels while they monitor it on a screen and also monitor your pain reaction.

The doctor says if there is no surgery he will do everything he can to help me with my pain and has lots of different things to try.

He tried to explain that something isn't right with my L5-S1 disks which he says is mobility related, but also said it is the thing that is very hard to successfully treat with surgery.

The Myleogram on Wednesday might tell us more but he said I should tell the Neurosurgeon to concentrate on that area when he does the Myleogram.

JEAN

-----Original Message----- From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of Wally Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2001 8:43 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Re: Pain Pills problem!! - try maxolon

Hi Jean,

I'm sorry to read that you have problems keeping oxycontin down! Have you tried pethadine? It is usually given as an injection, but I know that you can also get it in tablet form, Suze takes them. (I know that it is only 50% effective for the equivalent dose injected)

My other suggestion is an anti nausea medication like maxolon or pramin. You would have to look them up first to see what brand name they have in America.

When my pain is making me feel sick, I take a maxolon tablet when I take the oxycontin...it's only failed for me once or twice that I can remember.

Hope you find something to help you with pain!

love & warm hugs Jo (Australia)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: