Re: Can Pregnancy Cure Adhesions?

Sun Oct 21 22:21:54 2001

Dear Angela,

Firstly welcome to the board! You have come to the right place to find comfort, support & experience from others suffering with adhesions.

I am very concerned that your doctor has suggested that pregnancy will cure adhesions! Adhesions are scar tissue, and the only way they can be removed is surgically! Do you have endometriosis? This could be what your doctor is referring to, because many doctors are of the opinion that endo can be cured through pregnancy. Now please keep in mind, what I say is personal opinion and second hand hear say. I have had 4 children, my sister-in-law also has 4 children, she was diagnosed with Endo before her marriage & was on fertility drugs on the day she married my brother. She had been told to get pregnant as soon as possible, because the endo was doing a lot of damage to her reproductive organs, and there was a chance if she waited too long, she would have trouble conceiving.

The fatility drugs worked, and then helped her fall pregnant two more times, and then something my brother & sister-in-law thought impossible, she fell pregnant without fatility drugs, my brother couldn't believe it & insisted she have another blood test! LOL They were overjoyed that they had managed to conceive "without aid".

In between these pregnancies, she still suffered with the pain of endo, and finally had a hysterectomy last March, just a few weeks after I had the same operation. The difference between us is, she is now reasonably pain free and doesn't seem to suffer as much while I on the other hand have been in pain since that surgery!

I have returned to the operating theatre several times since then for major & minor surgeries. Last April they removed my ovaries because the adhesions had surrounded them completely & pulled them down & stuck them to my vagina, bladder, bowel & abdominal wall. This was a 4 hour procedure, and did not completely remove the adhesions from my abdominal cavity.

I still have considerable pain, but there are some that went away with that preocedure, but replaced with new & incidious pains.

A child is a special gift, my last pregnancy was not planned and came after 3 miscarriages, it was difficult, painful and I spent approx. 3 months in hospital (added up over the 40 weeks of pregnancy) to receive pain medication injections. This was the only time I had pain relief, because I refused anything that might hurt the baby.

During that pregnancy I believe that the pain I was experiencing was a direct result of the adhesions, because whenever my daughter moved in utero, I would almost jump through the ceiling. I lost over a stone & a half and ate very little. The pain was gone with her delivery.

However, after a while pain increased along with the frequency of my period, and it became increasingly heavier & more painful. I was quite ill by the time I had the hysterectomy feb, 2000 and I really have not been well since that time.

I urge you to seek several other opinions before you contemplate pregnancy, I would hate for you to decide it was a reasonable plan of action, only to discover after the baby arrives, that it has made little to no difference & in fact might have made things worse. Please remember I am not a medical person, my words to you are from personal experience. I too have had doctors tell me that pregnancy would help my pain "go away" what has happened as you have just read, is the complete opposite.

If you have any questions or would like to talk to me about it, my email address is wallamara@hotmail.com

warm gentle hugs & love, Jo (Australia)

>From: info@monogramming.com (Angela O)
>Reply-To: adhesions@adhesions.org
>To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS
><adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com>
>Subject: Can Pregnancy Cure Adhesions?
>Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 10:25:03 -0500
>
>I am looking for any documentation, history, personal experience or
>medical opinion stating that preganacy can help cure the pain caused by
>abdominal adhesions. Recently my doctor recommended that I have another
>child to cure my pain. This is a huge step as I hadn't planned on any
>additional children. (Although I love them and find this diagnosis to
>be a pleasant one.) My concern is...if I did make the commitment and
>have another child...is this really going to work?
>
>--
>Angela Orton
>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: