Re: fibromyalgia

Mon Nov 12 14:34:26 2001

A couple of months ago I read that there is a theory that fibromyalgia is actually a defect of the deepest stage of sleep. Nobody really understands what the biological purpose of sleep is, but this theory is that in the deepest stage is when the body heals itself of the normal wear-and-tear. And that people who have fibromyalgia don't get enough of that kind of sleep. So this is real and actual cellular damage that is causing the pain, it is not some defect of the nervous system that gets pain signals when it shouldn't. I'm not really sure how definitive that result is, but it sure makes sense as far as the sleepiness -- you are sleepy because no matter how much sleep you get you aren't getting the kind of sleep that your body needs.

If you want to trade doctor insults, I'm right there with you, girl. My husband is a college physics professor, and has taught pre-meds for the last 18 years. The number of them that just have NO COMMON SENSE whatsoever is just frightening. Ok, some of them grow up and get some later on in life, but a lot clearly don't! Hubby has what he calls the "stretcher test." You see it used to be that people would flunk his class (or they'd get a C, which is the same thing because you won't get into med school with a C in physics.) And hubby would feel really bad about it. But then after awhile he thought, "would I want to wake up in an emergency room and see this person bending over me with a sharp instrument in his/her hand?" And in most of these cases the answer wasn't "no" it was "HECK NO!!!!!"

cathy :-)

--
cathy :-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: