Re: I have had my 4th surgery in October-afraid adhesions forming again

Sat Nov 24 21:37:31 2001

Dear Christy

Welcome to the board, I am glad that you have started to look for answers.  I see it time and time again here on the board, women especially starting to research and seek answers from others about what they should do and where they should turn after having several surgeries to cure pain only to find that their problems become worse with each new procedure.

Christy, you have had so much surgery in such a short time, I urge you to really think about everything carefully before deciding on yet another procedure.  Take advantage of what I like to call my "retro scope" and read my story on the quilt as well as the stories of Karla, Helen Chalmers, Helen Gibson and many many others.  What you will find is just as you say, we have few organs left for adhesions to "stick to".  So we continue on a dangerous downward spiral.

I would advise you to put off surgery until you have had time to do as much research on your diseases, including the adhesions, ask us as many questions as you want, we will answer them, or point you in the right direction to get the answers BUT most of all think very very carefully before having more surgery.  With each new procedure the risks increase and the percentage of a possible escalation of your pain goes up too. 

Pain management including relaxation, visualisation, breathing exercises, meditation, hot packs, rest, gentle walks and or exercise as well as pain medication can all help improve how you cope and manage your pain.  It requires a little perseverance and patience to learn these techniques, but the results will be worth the effort.

Read through some of the messages in the archives and you will find a wealth of information on different ways to combat pain.  Don't accept the advice of one doctor, please seek several opinions and still weigh up your choices carefully, because once a surgery has been performed, it cannot be undone.

I hope you let us know how you are getting on, and please don't hesitate to email me if you have any questions on any of the coping skills I mentioned here.

Love & gentle warm hugs

Jo (Australia)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: