Re: Pain,Surgery,Intergel

Sun Dec 2 18:12:05 2001

At Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Sue Ann Murray wrote: >
>I'm not sure what details you might need or what I have. The surgeon who operated on me has had good luck with the intergel and was somewhat surprised when it didn't get approval and/or the FDA panel said they couldn't find where it made a difference. But I have been wondering if the laparotomy results maybe were not as successful as the laparoscopy results, and while I think the laparoscopy trials are coming to a close, if they haven't already, that data is not yet in. If you want some technical details, I'd got to http://www.lifecore.com (they make intergel) and there's a lot of info on the site -- under either press releases or the "hydro" something or other acid division (the chemical name for intergel). Mostly what I was having was some pain and some unusual bowel symptoms which have cleared up (mostly) since the surgery. I know Helen (?) posted a list of where intergel has been approved for use already, but must not have saved
>y will tell you.
> Any other specific questions, feel free to ask although I don't know if I'll have the answers.
>
> Dear sue This sounds so excellent I wish I could go now.Please let me know all the details as I am very serious.I have to have this done. thanks Robyne
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sue Ann Murray <murraysa@penn.com>
> To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@forum.obgyn.net>
> Date: Monday, 14 February 2000 6:00
> Subject: Re: Pain,Surgery,Intergel
>
> I had surgery this past summer with the intergel, although mine was part of a laproscopic clinical trial to try and get approval in the US. The follow-up surgery two months after the first one showed almost no reoccurance of the adhesions. It's been 8 months now and still not having the problems I had before, which were not as bad as yours, however.
>
> Sue Ann
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Robyne Hinks <rhinks@eisa.net.au>
> To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@forum.obgyn.net>
> Date: Saturday, February 12, 2000 10:09 PM
> Subject: Pain,Surgery,Intergel
>
> Hi everyone.Ihave just arrived home from another stint in hospital with a small bowel obstruction and severe bowel spasms.Every time I obstuct I seem to suffer these horrendous spasms.I begged them two nights ago to please let me die.I just could not stand it anymore.Even the pethidine was not working so they put an epidural marcaine infusion in and it was great,no pain but I couldnot walk either.My pain management Dr. said I can have this infusion any time it gets bad so I said "you had better make this bed my permanet home because I dont want to give this infusion up".My normal pain meds are 30mg of mis cont morning and night as well as 75mg of endep at night.This is still not getting me pain free or stopping the soreness of my swollen abdomen.I also find that the morphine is causing my hair to fall out.Has anyone else exprienced this.I told the doc but he wasnt at all interested.I woud like to find someone else but pain management places here in Australia are few and fa
>r between.Can anyone give me some suggestions on pain med.My urologist who is really great and my rock is trying to find someone too.He never gets upset even if I ring him in the middle of the night in bad pain,he just says for me to go up to the hospital and he will get me some relief.He has also warned me to have no more surgery unless it is life and death.However he is very interested to find out about this intergel and what its success has been.I would like to know from anyone who has had the treatment or who is thinking of it.Im at the stage where I would willingly try it.Thanks for listening to my gripes,Robyne.

--
I just heard that the FDA has reluctantly approved Intergel and it will be ready in February.  I am, however, a little skeptical about having yet another surgery right now until I see more of the results and success rates.  They have approved it only for laparotomy, but your comment about thinking that the laparoscopy results possibly being more successful makes me wonder even more.  Do you know where I can find some information about the success rates?

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: