Re: Update-Pain to Bobbi

Tue Dec 4 23:50:11 2001

Dear Jo,

I think this is an excellent idea - I'm going to ask my GP to write such a letter for me - I think that would save so much hassles! Thank you for the suggestion! I'd never thought of that.

Hope you'll be more comfortable tomorrow!

Lin

> ----- Original Message -----
From: Jo Eslick To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Sent: Wednesday, 5 December 2001 14:55 Subject: Re: Update-Pain to Bobbi

Dear Bobbi

I am sorry that you found yourself in that horrible situation! I know how it feels, because my GP is only in the office three days a week, and for two of them, it's only half a day. So I have forged a rapport with one of the other female GP's in the same office & that has helped me quite considerably! :-)

I have been thinking about this for a while & intend to mention it to my GP when I see her...

Ok what I plan to do is ask her to write a letter for me stating what my illness is, what medications I am on, what my blood group is and warning them about extensive adhesions should I need to have emergency surgery, and what my wishes are if I was to be involved in some sort of car accident or anything like that. I am also going to ask her to put a note at the bottom in bold writing that if I attend the hospital emergency room, that I am there for higher pain relief because the breakthrough pain that I am experiencing, and that my normal medication has been ineffective.

I plan to carry it with me at all times, especially when we travel to Sydney. Yesterday I had to be in Sydney for a doctors appointment, and by the time we were finished there I was in a lot of pain & thought that we might have to stop at Katoomba hospital so that I could get an injection to make it possible for me to continue the trip home. I knew though, as most of you do, it means countless hours waiting to be seen by a doctor, loads of questions & usually accompanied by very raised eyebrows! LOL

So we decided to just continue home, and I promised to try & stop moaning all the way home! LOL Well we made it, I took my pain meds as soon as we walked the door, grabbed a quick drink & headed over to mum's place. The kids were staying the night just in case we didn't make it home, or we got home so late the kids would already be asleep.

We made it home & the pain wasn't too bad, but I am feeling it a little more today and will possibly have to take extra meds to get it back down to a tolerable level again. That's ok too, because I am at home & can just go & lay down in my own comfy bed.

So perhaps this is something we should all do....carry with us a letter listing medications etc, so if we do have an accident or have to attend an emergency room, we will be saved from having to answer squilians of questions and loads of raised eyebrows and to many "mmmm's" lol.

Bobbi, please don't feel like you have to apologise for asking questions, that's why we are here, to help each other out & answer questions when they are asked. It must be hard for you having a 5 yr old to worry about if you are admitted to hospital. It might be worthwhile checking out emergency care for him, is there any local authority who have emergency accommodation services that you can take advantage of?

Here in Australia we have foster parents who take in kids while the parent is in hospital etc, and they look after your child, then when you are released from hospital you pick your child up & you both go home happy. It might be a good idea to find something like this for your situation.

I hope that helps you .... Bobbi just ask away....we will do our best to answer the questions, or point you in the right direction for help anyway....

warm gentle hugs & love

Jo (Australia)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------version see http://www.adhesions.org/forums/

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: