My thought for today.

Thu Dec 6 05:08:29 2001

Now that I have my HRT patch on I can now focus and explain my thought for today.

Remember my story about Dad's roses last week? How it isn't until we are forced to slow down that we really start to take notice of the little things in life? Things we see everyday and probably say, yes that's nice, but never really give it a second thought?

I have just come home from my eldest daughter's "mad night" at her all girls' high school. It was interesting and VERY amusing snapshots of drama, music and art all performed by the years 9, 10 and 11 from her school.

They had been split into small groups and had to come up with an entertaining piece that portrayed a moment, a familiar thing etc in their lives. The different ideas that were presented were absolutely entertaining & I thought very clever! Several stood out of amongst them all, and yes my daughter's group was one of them. (Of-course as a proud an unbiased mother....)

The first one that struck me was how the students perceived the differences in "gangs" or groups of friends, or interest groups. The two they chose to portray were American boot scootin' country gals, and a "homey street gang" both groups enjoyed music and dance, but obviously taste in music and dancing styles differed. These two groups put forward the idea that really all these groups or gangs had underlying similarities and could learn from each other as well as respect the differences in lifestyle. They had taken this kernel of an idea and presented it in a very thought provoking and entertaining way. It showed to me, that despite differences, advantages and disadvantages, we could all enjoy being a part of an exciting and diverse culture.

The second one would have appealed to the cat lovers amongst us. There were just two girls in this short play, and they both played their parts beautifully. The cat was very condescending to her owner & really let the audience know that she simply "tolerated" this soppy silly woman who owned and loved her. It didn't matter if the cat "whoopsied" under the sofa on the good rug, or pulled at the curtains, the cats owner still loved her and was concerned about her welfare despite the cats antisocial behaviour. When the owner, thinking that the cats behaviour was because she needed another "cat friend" to amuse her in the hours the owner was at work.... the cat became a different pet, acting with the best of manners and meowing and basically "sucking up" to her owner. It was VERY well done and had received the best response from the audience thus far.

Then my daughters group came on.... now I know many of you are fans of Steve Erwin, the crocodile hunter from Queensland Australia, a true example of the ocker behaviour & speech. It was so funny, that everyone laughed continuously throughout the whole piece. My daughter played the part of another famous ocker male Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee) and they played up both characters so well that you could really recognise the speech inflections, the well known famous lines and used many other famous Aussie icons to put on a very creative and entertaining piece.

We went to the "Year 10 Mad Night" as a family, along with my mother (Nan has a soft spot for her eldest grandchild) and Emma's boyfriend, who is in Year 11 at the all boys' high school in town. I was not at my best today, and I was forced to rest all day in bed so that I would be able to withstand the several hours of the show. I was extremely ill, and everyone thought that it would be best if I stayed at home (before I put my make-up on, well lets just say it wasn't pretty). I refused to let them talk me into staying home, I am so glad that I am a stubborn chook sometimes, because the pain I was in while at the school, and the pain I am experiencing now is well worth the experience I had enjoyed tonight.

Why should we let our illness destroy our love and enjoyment of life? For those of you who have children I am sure will agree with me, there is not a better dose of medicine available can make up for precious times like the one I spent with my family tonight.

Please, if you are finding it hard to cope with your pain, if you find yourself staying home because the effort of getting ready and looking well for the time you are out is too hard, do it anyway. Make yourself do some Christmas Shopping this week, attend a local play, visit a friend in hospital, volunteer for a Christmas Charity. Don't let the pain of adhesions rule your life, absorb it, accept it and work around it as best you can. There will be times when you are simply too ill, I accept that, I had one of those occasions just yesterday, I was meant to be at a school function last night in my capacity as President of the school P&F Association (PTA to those of you in the States). I had to get Shane to ring and apologise for me, I had to make a decision, go last night & miss tonight, or the other way around. I am so glad that I chose tonight. I know that some of my adhesions were formed because of my c-sections to deliver my girls, but I thank God every day for the pain, because it has given me four beautiful and talented children who allow me to see the true beauty in living.... and it is in the day to day living that we find happiness and solace for all our troubles and pain, whether you have children or not.

With all my love & gentle warm hugs Jo (Australia)

--
P.S. I'm not a doctor or medical person, just a fellow
adhesions sufferer who really wants better treatment
for us all.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: